BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 05:35 PM UTC
Hey everyone...
I just wanted to share some pics of my Hellcat Mk. 1
It's an Italeri 1/72 kit painted with rattle cans and a paint brush or two... The kit went together like a charm and provides a nice level of detail for the scale and the money (only $10 US). There are decales for 3 birds and a simple set of instructions included. My only gripe with the kit is directed towards the canopy... it needs to be pared down to fit properly and I always get the sweats when I have to use sand paper on clear plastic parts...
Hope you like it and I welcome tips for the future...

Cheers
-scott

BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 11:58 AM UTC
No no... please... this flood of comments... It will take me weeks to read through all these, ummmm, oh wait...never mind :-) :-) :-)

Oh wait... I know, you all are in so much awe that words escape you. Yeah... that's it.
It's ok... I'm used to it. The same thing happens when I dance.

-Just play'n

-scott
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No no... please... this flood of comments... It will take me weeks to read through all these, ummmm, oh wait...never mind :-) :-) :-)

Oh wait... I know, you all are in so much awe that words escape you. Yeah... that's it.
It's ok... I'm used to it. The same thing happens when I dance.

-Just play'n

-scott

That's pretty funny Scott! Good sense of humor.

I just saw this. I love the FAA hellcats, but have to admit it is a little hard to really see your build. Are the pictures taken with a digital camera, and if so, is there any way to try again with more lighting? I would especially like to see the camo job done on the top. I'm curious how you did it? Did you mask it all off and then use the spray cans, or did you brush paint those parts?

I'm sure it looks good and look forward to some more shots of it if possible.
Leon
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 08:18 PM UTC
It looks fine, though I agree that the photographs are a bit dark (though beware of photoflood lamps, if they're too close to the subject they can melt your pride & joy in a very short space of time).

I like your weathering, make it look like it's had to work hard for it's living.

Re sanding the canopy, a couple of ideas for you. Protect the areas not to be sanded with masking tape, support inside the canopy with a piece of balsa or foam (to prevent crushing or cracking when applying pressure on the sanding block) and lastly, any scratches or opaque areas can be polished out with either toothpaste (haven't tried it myself but it's a long-established method) or modeller's wax (I think Revell make this). Alternatively, how about Future floor polish, much praised by modellers for decal application?
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 11:16 AM UTC
Well...I've taken some more pics. It's been really overcast here lately, but not too bright. Hopefully You all can see these better.
:-) :-) :-) :-)

Cheers!!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 09:36 PM UTC
Nice one Scott, it makes life interesting when you have to "upgrade" clear parts, glad you had some fun
What did you use on the panel lines, they look a little metalic, in the top views?
Mal
 _GOTOTOP