Hellcat Question
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 06:36 AM UTC
Hi all-
I need to tap the collective knowledge of the group to come up with the answer to my simple question...

I'm going to be building a Hellcat Mk.1 of the 804 SQN. of the Royal Navy... My question is: What color should the wheel wells and cockpit be? I have some green zinc chromate (Standard US color), but I'm afraid it may be a different color for my friends across the pond.

In case anyone is interested... I'm building a the Italeri 1/72 F6F-3 kit (kit no. 1213). This is a GREAT 1/72 kit (the 2nd time I've built it). It has plenty of detail, recessed panel lines, the ability to drop the flaps, and it has a nice fit and finish with little sanding/puty required. The cockpit is a little sparce, but most are at this scale. And it's only $10 US....

Thanks!
-Scott
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hi Scott

As far as I know, cockpits in the British Hellcats (Gannets to begin with, but that was scrapped early on) were painted in standard US colours at the factory. They might have received a touch up here and there with RAF grey-green if there were any repairs or equipment changes - just guessing there.

The undercarriage seems to have been painted US-style too; I've found a photo of a Dark Slate Grey / Extra Dark Sea Grey aircraft where the u/c looks like it's white. On later machines the u/c was Sea Blue as per the the exterior.

Incidentally, does anyone know if they were fitted with American or British seat harnesses?

Hope this helps

Rowan
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 10:32 AM UTC
Yes... that really helps! Thanks Merlin
 _GOTOTOP