Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Opinions + Weathering Tips > Spitfire Mk I
P-Entity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:20 PM UTC
Greetings all, I am new here and this is my first post. Hopefully I don't break too many rules in the process

I recently completed a Supermarine Spitfire Mk I kit from Tamiya.

You can see the results here:
http://www.alhaffar.com/supermarine_spitfiremki.jpg

I would appreciate your opinions, and also any tips on how to get some light weathering on this model, so far I have only weathered tanks and so I dont have much experience with aircraft.

Thanks in advance.
P-Entity
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 11:50 PM UTC
Mate

Welcome to Armorama. We are a hive of information. Try searching through the various forums and features. There is a ton of info in there - not necessarily in the aircraft sections but still applicable - which can be a great help.

What scale is this Spit?

The decals have gone on well - no sign of silvering.

Some people suggest washes of black/burnt umber to bring out the panel lines. I haven't mastered that yet so I use a .3mm propelling pencil - lightly sand the lead on one side to give a slight edge and then use the panels lines as a guide - if you overshoot then a gentle rub with an eraser removes the error.

I can't tell from the photo where the dark earth is in the upper cammo. Something i have only recently discovered, and tried, is using a slightly lighter mix of the original colour gently sprayed into the centre of the panels to give them a slightly faded look.

Maybe a few scratches in the paint work around the wing walk and engine panels - these can be done with a silver artists pencil or with silver paint and a thin brush/toothpick.

That's just a couple of ideas - other may have a few more.

Again - welcome to the friendliest site on the net.

Brian
P-Entity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 01:21 AM UTC
The scale is 1:72

Thanks for the tips!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hi P-Entity, welcome to Armorama the best modelling site on the web and particularly welcome to the Aircraft forum. You will meet lots of knowledgeable modelers here.
I have completed an on line build of the Tamiya 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk Ia, in the same markings as your Spit' you can find my on line builds HERE
Towards the end I describe the weathering. If you take a look and have more questions please ask.
Don't worry about it to much, but British aircraft of this era had a Dark Green and Dark Earth uppersurface camouflage (I think she looks quite cool with just Green ) Although there is no great evidence of "silvering" on the decals they are "bridging" the panel lines. If you like I can point you to an article on applying decals, which should help illiminate the "bridging" effect. Your model looks pretty good, thanks for sharing.
Mal
P-Entity
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 11:12 PM UTC
Thanks for the info and tips Holdfast!

You're right about the colours. Originally I attempted to paint the Spitfire using the correct colours, however I ran into trouble with the camoflage and it looked terrible.

So I decided to use this model as an experimentation/training peace since it's been a while that I put together an aircraft.

I'm quite impressed with your model and the excellent detail.

I'd really appreciate it if you could share the article about correct decal application

Thanks.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I decided to use this model as an experimentation/training peace since it's been a while that I put together an aircraft.

A very good idea, some of the techniques you will find are only easy to do once you have got your head around how to do them.
For decals, here you go Decal Dilemas But remember I'm no expert, and if you have any questions just ask
That article can be found in the Features section (look top left at the menu) under aircraft. You will find plenty of other stuff there as well. Don't forget to look at the other feature pages.

Quoted Text

I'm quite impressed with your model and the excellent detail

Thanks I'm working on the other online builds that you may have seen and I hope to start a couple more, stay tuned :-)
I hope you will share any other models that are able to benefit from any new found knowledge. Seeing a modeller progress is a nice thing for all to see
Mal
 _GOTOTOP