Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Stirling, Lincoln or Halifax
mossieramm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 06:08 PM UTC
I'm looking for a Stirling, Lincoln or Halifax either in 1/72 or 1/48 scale. I know Airfix do a Stirling and Halifax, but is Airfix the only choice ??
I've came across a 1/48 vac Halifax by Contrail Models.
Is it any good and does it include all the necessary parts ??
Thanks for any info.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi mossieramm, Matchbox used to do a 1/72 Halifax. Although OOP they still crop up on ebay regularly.

Flightpath do a 1/72 set to convert a Lancaster into a Lincoln.
Flightpath Avro Lincoln set
Jurrie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,718 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:40 PM UTC
Yeah, I think that's it..

I have never seen a Lincoln kit(not from the famouis brands like Tamiya, Revell etc..)

I only know about the Airfix ones..

It's a pitty you are not looking for the Wellington kit, because Revell has released one a little while ago

Jurrie
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC
Jurrie-(sorry Mossie, not trying to jack your thread) I heard about that wellie, & I was wondering if it had an accurate depiction of the geometric structure on the inside of the fuselage? Never seen a kit that did this.
Mossie- couldn't you just add a couple of engines to the lancaster? That's about all Avro did, wasn't it? Bet Martin knows scads more about this than me...
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard about that wellie, & I was wondering if it had an accurate depiction of the geometric structure on the inside of the fuselage? Never seen a kit that did this.

The Revell kit is actually a re-issue of the old Matchbox model. While the outer surface is not bad (except for the tail fin) the inside is totally plain. You might have better luck with the newer MPM Wellington kits. I seem to recall it has a detailed inside, but from what I've seen in photos, the outer skin is less subtle than the Matchbox kit.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=MPM72099

Quoted Text

couldn't you just add a couple of engines to the lancaster? That's about all Avro did, wasn't it? Bet Martin knows scads more about this than me...

Sorry, its more involved than that. There was an increase in the fuselage lenght for one thing.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 04:21 AM UTC
Paragon, no longer trading, did a Lincoln conversion for the Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster. Fonderie Minatures have a 1/48 Halifax listed for production. I'm very interested in that. They also have a 1/48 Short Sunderland Listed
Talking of Wellingtons, Trumpeter are supposed to be releasing their 1/48 kit soon, can't wait
Mal
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 04:35 AM UTC
Geoff- Thank you, I stand corrected! Mind you there's not much interest in "homegrown" U.K. weaponry this side of the pond, so my errant info came largely from a History channel documentary and a Jane's 'Weapons at War' backissue. I did have a look at the site, and you're right the detail is a bit spotty...
Mal, any info on whether the Trumpeter Wellie will have that distinctive interior moulded in?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal, any info on whether the Trumpeter Wellie will have that distinctive interior moulded in?

None at all, I'm afraid Robert. I'm hoping that's why it's taking so long to appear, they're getting the detail right I've got one on order so I'll let you all know when I get my itchy fingers on it :-)
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've came across a 1/48 vac Halifax by Contrail Models.
Is it any good and does it include all the necessary parts ??

Hi Mossieramm

I've had one stashed away for about 10 years... it's very basic - really crude in places.

The forthcoming FM model looks exciting, but pricey. It should (hopefully) make the old Contrail vacuform redundant, but FM kits are very variable in quality, so I'd definitely wait for a review...

All the best

Rowan
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC
I have the Airfix Short Stirling and Halifax to be built. They look ok, they are pretty old kits anyway.

Revell Germany makes a 1/72 wellington.

FM should be releasing their 1/48 HAlifax soon, but its pretty expensive.

~Chip
 _GOTOTOP