Lancaster Kits
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hey guys....
Fueling my active imagination for future projects I'm wondering about lancaster kits. Firstly I'd imagine that most would be in 1/72 due to it's size but I'm wondering which models are worth buying. I saw an airfix dam busters kit the other day.....but simply hate taking the plunge without doing my research on their quality. I'd also be interested in any 1/48 kits if there are any, but would like to buy one that is nicelly detailed and has a few aftermarket options.

cheers all
mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 05:12 PM UTC
tamiya do a 1/48 scale lancaster with the tall boy bomb newer versions of the kit have spinning props if that floats your boat
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:39 AM UTC
If you check around you can get the old Dambuster version of the Lanc in 1/48. And also the regular version. Try EBay or greatmodels.com

Also, Revell and airfix have 1/72 scale Lancs.

~Chip
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 12:49 PM UTC
Cheers guys....
I think i'd prefere the older version (spinning props aren't my thing yet) but must admit it's a bit disapointing Tamiya don't do a standard version of their Grand Slam model. I'm only really interested in building a standard lanc. There's a couple around....I guess I'll have to see how ebay goes but am not sure what I should expect to pay for one of the original Tamiya 1/48 Lancasters. Seems I can get a moving prop grand slam model for around $68US.....so maybe a bit less than that.

Time will tell
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:51 PM UTC
a few years ago tamiya had a really nice
dambuster kit with no spining props.
i saw a few on ebay.
taymiya is starting to resiusse a lot of old tanks,
iam sure they will bring back this plane
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 11:40 PM UTC
i have been slobbering over the 1/48 tamiya spinning prop kit for some time now, but just cant justify spending that much on a model kit....
powerlogik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

taymiya is starting to resiusse a lot of old tanks,
iam sure they will bring back this plane

I for one would hope so, It's strange how some model companies choose their kits for release.

I have since secured a kit from ebay...one of the older "standard" lancaster kits. Considering exchange rates, postage costs etc I think what I have paid isn't too bad for an out of production kit. Here in Australia the motor prop version costs around $180AU which is exactly the reason why I was a little discouraged to buy one of those kits.
 _GOTOTOP