Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 07:34 AM UTC
I have started the on line build of the Tamiya 1/48 DeHavilland Mosquito FB Mk VI/NF Mk II. This build will include the Aires resin and PE cockpit detail set.
If you have any comments and/or questions please post here.
I have opened a slot for an on line build for the Hasegawa Aichi Val as well, I will download pics there tomorrow.

Mosquito on line build
Mal
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 07:52 AM UTC
Mal,
Look forward to this one, my favorite twin engine aircraft.

I noticed in Photo 008 you had to fill under the intake on the engine nacelle. Ever manufacture must make the same mistake. I've build several Mossies from different manufactures and they all have a depression in that area, wonder why that is.

Well I'm sure your build will be another stunner, so I'll be watching.

P.S. The undercarriage detail looks great.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 05:06 PM UTC
Looks good Mal. I do like the Aries detail sets, they are crisply molded and full of detail. I last used one on a Bf109 and the replacement cockpit side walls were so thin they were almost transparent. I was sure they would snap in two if I so much as sneezed near them.
I will be following your progress with interest as I've got one of these kits on the go [the B IV] and will be building the FB VI next.
LogansDad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:09 AM UTC
Beauty of a start you've got on that Mossie, Mal! That Ares really looks like it does the trick- enhanced by your awe-inspiring talent of course. Wish I had the $ and talent to do one of these up righteously. Although- I've always had a fantasy of building a 1:32 mossie out of scale plywood...
:-)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hi Mal

The detail on those resin parts looks excellent. Does it need much modification to the Tamiya kit to install them?

This one should be a beauty!

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:56 AM UTC
Thanks
Chuck, I think the depression might have something to do with tha fact that there is a locating pin there which causes shrinkage?

Martin, yes they are very well detailed. The Tamiya detail is quite good OOB but this set does lift it quite a bit. I'm stuck a little at the moment, trying to unravel the mystery of wether the seat cushions are black or dark brown leather?

Robert, eer thanks (blushing), the Aires sets aren't that expensive, I belive I pickied it up for £10.00. True Details do a set, which I also have, for £7.99 (no PE, or film instruments, but that could be a good thing, for some). Overal I think the Aires set is better, it does have more and better detail and I really like PE instruments and film dials.

Rowan, Very little modificatin is required and yes the resin is excellant, although this kit can be built OOB and would still look good. The Mossi is one of my all time favourites and has a nice big area of glass, so I thought it would be worth the added expence. :-) I have another of these kits, plus another detail set. I also have the B Mk IV, for which I will also be getting a set :-)

I have the builders round, starting tomorrow and have taken next week off work. DIY allowing I'm hoping to get the cockpit, at least, finished. I also need to get my Typhoon done plus, of course, some more to my Val (see else where) busy, busy, busy
Mal
 _GOTOTOP