Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Avro Anson
grom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 214 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 07:23 AM UTC
Hi all, I've just sneaked in from the Armorama site,and was wondering if anyone could offer some information, I remember my dad mentioning an Avro Anson fitted with a downward firing oerlikan gun,it is such a long time ago and I may be confused, but it stuck in my mind, I have searched the net but could find nothing to confirm, I would welcome any info, many thanks.
davidne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 09:08 AM UTC
I took a look around and found the following page
https://survincity.com/2015/11/avro-anson-gunships/
It is about 500 sq based at Detling, and mentions cannon armed Ansons near the very end. Didn't see much else, but I hope this helps you a little. Regards.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 03:43 PM UTC
Yep 500 County of Kent Squadron assigned to Coastal Command based at Detling in Kent. They fitted some 20mm cannon in an oblique down ward firing position, this was designed to be used against S-boats, I've never been able to find any pictures of the field mod mounting, also note that some of their Ansons also had a waist mounted .303 that could fire out of either side through a window aperture.

Famously one of their Ansons downed (from memory) two Bf-109's in one combat, one with the turret and the other with the forward firing .303.
grom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 08:46 PM UTC
Thank you David, an interesting read and confirmation, my dad was based on an airfield on the Wirral across the river Mersey from Liverpool.
grom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 08:51 PM UTC
Thank you Littorio, I knew I would find some answer's on here, I mentioned what my dad had told me to the grandad of a friend and he basically said I was talking rubbish, so thanks again.
 _GOTOTOP