_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: WWI Campaign Honoring Wingnut Wings
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 12:47 PM UTC
Welcome to The World War I Campaign Honoring Wingnut Wings! This campaign is all about remembering the Great War and honoring Wingnut Wings, as it becomes sadly more clear that they are no more. The campaign will run from 1 August, 2020 through 1 August, 2021.

If you want to see the rules and sign up, go here. Post campaign related discussion and in-progress photos in this thread. Pics of finished models should be posted in the campaign gallery.

Looking forward to models remembering the First World War and the company that revived our modeling interest in it!

Michael
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2020 - 05:32 PM UTC
Here's my entry:

Rigging looks challenging, and I don't like the plane. Bought it few years ago because it's WnW and then forgot it. Year or two later bought another, because it's good to have one in stash just in case.

Anyway, should be interesting build.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 01:37 AM UTC
Looking good, Pasi! I was thinking of doing that one myself for various reasons, but I've always been partial to Sopwith products, and I have the Pup, Triplane, 3 Camels, Dolphin, and Snipe. So I might need to go that direction. A few other things to get off the bench first, so I have some time to think about it.

Meanwhile, we need a ribbon. Something simple?

Note the black background.

Michael
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good, Pasi! I was thinking of doing that one myself for various reasons, but I've always been partial to Sopwith products, and I have the Pup, Triplane, 3 Camels, Dolphin, and Snipe. So I might need to go that direction. A few other things to get off the bench first, so I have some time to think about it.

Meanwhile, we need a ribbon. Something simple?

Note the black background.

Michael

I'm ok with it.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 07:55 AM UTC
So, I'm thinking about the ribbon (guess that's what I do) and it's pretty hard to make out when it's small. So I made some adjustments. How's this?

Michael
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 07:40 PM UTC
I like the ribbon Michael.

Here is my entry.

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 05:13 AM UTC
Well, not much going on here, so let's see if I can shake things up a bit.

This bad boy arrived on my doorstep this week:

May just have to build it for this campaign! If I do, my "plan" is to do this aircraft (from AirPower Editions Ace Profile 3, Manfred von Richthofen by James F. Miller):

There's controversy over whether this is the correct scheme for this aircraft, but I like what Miller has to say about it and I've always liked this half factory/half red scheme, so I'm going for it. According to several sources, including Miller, this was Richthofen's highest scoring triplane.

Have to come up with a good technique for the streaking. I've tried decals and just didn't like them, so I'm guessing I'll do it the old fashioned way and use a hairy stick. We'll see...

Michael
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 06:10 AM UTC
Michael,
A few years ago I wrote an article for Large Scale Planes on Roden’s DR1 and F1 (from the Encore Kit). To paint Voss’ F1, I used a wide comb to spray the streaking pattern through. It worked out ok, but wasn’t quite random enough for me, as I was trying to match the scheme to known photos of F1s. So I went over it with an artist’s “fan” brush and oil paint. It worked out pretty well. Were I to do it over again, I think I’d cut fine gaps in a stiff cardboard template that overlayed the wings and fuselage exactly, rather than fumbling with a comb, and spray the pattern through the template. You might use the comb as a guide to cut the lines. Fumbling with a comb was difficult to get the correct angles on the wings. Of course the F1s had a different paint pattern than production DR1s (as explained in the article, based on the references), but the technique would have been similar. Here’s the article if you want to look for yourself:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3178

VR, Russ
McRunty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
AeroScale: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2020 - 10:59 AM UTC
Definitely not a wingy thing but here is my entry into the campaign. I will be building HMS Vendetta, a V&W class destroyer of the Royal Navy.

Launched in 1917 she would participate in several actions during the war including being present at the Second Battle of Heligoland Bight.

McRunty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 02:34 PM UTC
Small update. Decks are installed, as are the screws shafts and rudder.
McRunty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 02:34 PM UTC
Small update. Decks are installed, as are the screws shafts and rudder.

MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2020 - 02:44 AM UTC
Alright, as this campaign will definitely run past the proposed migration to the new site, I've started a new thread in the Group Builds section, it can be found here. You can start posting there whenever you're ready, and can post in both threads if you like.

Time marches on!

Michael
 _GOTOTOP