322 Sqr. Spitfires Mk.IXc MLKNIL 1947-1949
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hello.
I want to show the the Spitfire Mk.IXc of the 322 Squadron, served in Indonesia, by that time a Dutch Colony.
The one, H-64, an overall blue painted plane, with a black anti glare on the nose, served as a bomber, during the 'Politionele Acties'.
Squadron has it's origins from the late WWII by that time and were already located at Twnte AB. Planes got shipped in crates to the Indies and served until the end, when Indonesia became a Republic.
Used an Eduard kit for this one.Other is still a WIP, means in parts, and will have the engine exposed (H-60).
All blue for the H-64. H-60 will be blue under surface and Jungle Green top side.

Very difficult to capture the shades. All rivets and scribing survived. Need to get a better photo shoot thingy.
The model was build some 5 years ago already, never finished, until yesterday evening. After some adjustments, changed the tail and removed the guns, sanding filling and polishing, this afternoon paint went on.
Pretty pleased with it.

Question though...

How to represent the removed guns. What I remember from blogs and pictures the taped that off, right?
Is it valid to put some masking tape cut to size per opening?

Thanks in advance for some tips answers.
Anyway, thanks and hope you'll like it.

Tomorrow Decals go on from 'Flevo'

SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2020 - 09:04 PM UTC
Progress on the H-64.
Anti glare applied and first decals on.
Decals behave super to the surface. Very thin, but reasonably strong enough to move them.

Onto the other side. Some stencils to apply in Dutch, rest will be in English. Will use an Eduard decal sheet for that. Not really my thing this decal stuff, but this goes ok so far...

More to come later today, I hope.

SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 - 03:34 AM UTC
Hello.
More progress for todays build.
H-64 has top side decals on. Leaves me with the black lines, covers for the guns removed and underside roundels. all from Flevo Deals, rest as mentioned will be Eduard stencils.
Removed the masking for the cockpit, all went ok. There not much changed inside, happy with it.

So glad the masking came off so easy after more than 2 years I guess. This build is of the type pick up and finish, oh wait first this one and then it's on the shelf for months and months, until Friday, down the hill at last.
Now I'm drinking me a cold beer. No more decals today, maybe tomorrow.
Hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 - 07:00 AM UTC
Ouch! That Blue hurts in my eyes! But it looks cool, very unusual. Dou you know, why they have chosen this tone on their Spits?
petbat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
AeroScale: 93 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 - 07:06 AM UTC
Wow Robert - that will stand out on the shelf! Looking Good.
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 - 11:06 AM UTC
Thanks Torsten and Peter. It sure will stand out with that color blue. My guess the chosen blue was for identification, a visual aspect so to say. Other Spitfires had a blue underside, not all though. some were standard RAF scheme. Detail is that the Squadron has it's roots in WWII, was disbanded in 1945 and new formed 322 Squadron was operational in 1946, flying only Spitfires Mk. IX. During Police Actions, or Independence War for Indonesia all was shipped to the Colony, until 1949, when all was shipped back and sold (14 planes) to Belgium. Rest were already used for spare parts, two were lost.
Will check if I can get some more info on the blue.
Thanks for your interest, appreciated.

SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 - 03:28 PM UTC
I made a big big mistake. used a complete different color for the plane.
Wil have to strip the paint.
I am getting old

'tunnel vision'

See what I will do with it.

SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2020 - 10:29 PM UTC
It's not that I had an off day. Just did no extra research on the colors used.
After Torsten's question on the blue I did some checking. Think the ladies at my office learned some additional strong words for their vocabulary.
So searching for a solution I found out that the decal sheet is no longer available, Murphy's Law. During lunch I found Dutch Decal do the same sheet, phew....
So I just stripped the decals after work and will start all over with some light sanding. Thanks to the gods of Thailand I applied only a thin layer of the blue, another phew.
See where this goes, will end.
 _GOTOTOP