_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
News
Meng: Fokker Dr.I Planned
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 09:09 PM UTC

Meng Models is planning the release of a 1/32 scale Fokker Dr.I

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
warmonger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 09:27 PM UTC
Now this is a surprise.
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 09:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now this is a surprise.

Well for sure it is. Guess the fill the gap for the niche WNW created.
When pricing is ok, (I hope so), it will be interesting what comes after this one.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 09:59 PM UTC
Intriguing.

Wonder if this may be the first snap up of WNWs moulds or an entirely new venture? Either way one will find its way my way and if it proves nicely done more will follow. This could be a cashcow for Meng if they have got it right. Plus a godsend for all the 3rd party guys who had geared up for WNW's Driedecker.
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Intriguing.

Wonder if this may be the first snap up of WNWs moulds or an entirely new venture? Either way one will find its way my way and if it proves nicely done more will follow. This could be a cashcow for Meng if they have got it right. Plus a godsend for all the 3rd party guys who had geared up for WNW's Driedecker.

Yes, I was thinking the same. Now see what comes.
Pretty exiting.
rhwinter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 33 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:26 PM UTC
May I guess (from the very simple and therefor very catchy box-art)?
A SPAD XIII and (yes) a Camel. And not much more, because these three are the only WW1 airplanes sought after by the vast majority of modeling people.
But let's wait and see.
Cheers, Richard (still disappointed of the demise of Wingnut Wings)
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 10:39 PM UTC
Meng probably saw the outpouring of grief over the demise [?] of WnW and thought hmmm great opportunity here.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 11:09 PM UTC
Good news indeed - like many others I was set to pull the trigger on the WnW kit.
I hope it will be as good as the WnW kits - maybe even their molds as mentioned above. We’ll see I suppose.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 12:53 AM UTC
On one of the Facebook Forums that I follow, comment from a New Zealand modeler and friend of Darren Mildenhall (ex WnW CAD designer), there was strong evidence that these are indeed the WnW moulds.

It wold certainly be a fast turnaround after the demise of WnW, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

Cheers, D
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On one of the Facebook Forums that I follow, comment from a New Zealand modeler and friend of Darren Mildenhall (ex WnW CAD designer), there was strong evidence that these are indeed the WnW moulds.

It wold certainly be a fast turnaround after the demise of WnW, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

Cheers, D

I have just read that Meng was the tooling subcontractor to WnW and produced the Dr1 & F 1 molds for them. If this is accurate then in all likelihood these are the WnW molds ...
Oh yeah !!! ( doing my happy dance )
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 02:59 AM UTC
Fingers crossed! In another forum I suggested that if WnW is liquidating, ICM might be a good buyer for their molds, given some of the really nice 1/32 early war stuff (including bipes) they've been putting out. But I have no objection to Meng either!

Michael
Removed by original poster on 06/18/20 - 17:53:10 (GMT).
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 05:49 AM UTC
Wow, great news, but I hope the product inside is better than the box art, which is not up to Meng’s usual excellent standard. That DR1 looks totally out of shape, and what exactly is that British two seater in the background— kind of looks like the rear of an F2B, but the nose is a ? It does include early and late options in the same box though, and PE gun jackets and sights, but what about seatbelts? Looks like a new line for Meng —“ Quetzalcoatlus” class? Maybe more are on the way?
VR, Russ
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 06:10 AM UTC
If the plastic inside is Mengnut Wings, then I can forgive the awful box art.

Fingers crossed!
Gary
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hi all

Excellent news! And, logically, it can only be the former WNW kit, can't it? - because who in their right mind would have planned a rival Dr.1 kit with WNW's kit so close to release!

Apart from a huge collective sigh of relief that the kit's going to be released - the really exciting thing will be to see the price-point Meng aim at...

And, beyond the Dr.1... how many other WNW subjects might reappear in some form? - probably with totally different boxings to fit a different marketing strategy - but the crucial thing will be continued access to these ground-breaking mouldings somehow.

And, going even further... could Meng maybe bring the team together for future projects?

The tragedy would be to see WNW kits become totally un-affordable collectors' items. I'm sure Peter Jackson intended them to be built and enjoyed by as many modellers as possible.

All the best

Rowan
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 11:14 AM UTC
Good points, Rowan, I'm sure there are Lanc fans crying out there that WNW never released their kit. More important that releasing further kits would be maintaining the supply of their backstock. If those kits sell out, or get dumped on the market, it would be a shame. I wanted a Junkers tin flyer, so I'd be happy if Meng or Luckymodel picked up the slack.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, great news, but I hope the product inside is better than the box art, which is not up to Meng’s usual excellent standard. That DR1 looks totally out of shape, and what exactly is that British two seater in the background— kind of looks like the rear of an F2B, but the nose is a ? It does include early and late options in the same box though, and PE gun jackets and sights, but what about seatbelts? Looks like a new line for Meng —“ Quetzalcoatlus” class? Maybe more are on the way?
VR, Russ

They already have a 1/32 Me 163 in that class, so I think that's just a "big" airplane reference for them. But still, the more the better!

Michael
 _GOTOTOP