P-51D Mustang "Glamorous Glen III"
Anirudharun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 06:06 AM UTC
Evening all!

Lockdown has been pretty productive for me so far - this is the 2nd build I've completed after my F-15E. This time, I went for a 1/48 P-51D Mustang from Meng. I chose this kit as it is one of their new "glue free" models so hopefully it would be a simple build - just what I need after the rather complex GWH F-15E. Also, my dad had been asking me to build him something with a metal finish...so, two birds, one Mustang

So, here it is!

For the NMF I used MRP metallic lacquers for the first time - They were really great to work with; sprayed very well, good coverage in thin coats, and they dried quickly to a very tough finish! I'd definitely recommend them, and I'll be using them again for my next build - the Hasegawa F-22 Raptor.

The other colours were painted up with Tamiya acrylics - I had a bit of trouble trying to match the decal yellow with the painted yellow on the prop, but I think it's turned out okay?

A famous view - scary too if you're the enemy!

I also tried an in-flight pose for this build - It worked out pretty well but I think next time I will use a stiffer rod than brass - this is a bit wobbly and I had to wait for it to stop shaking before every photo. Oh well, we're in the midlands and there aren't really many earthquakes here, so I'm sure it'll be fine at my dads.

The BarracudaCals decals were excellent, which was unsurprising since they're printed by Cartograf. I chose "Glamorous Glen III"...well mostly because it was the easiest scheme to paint in the decal set Something interesting in the decal sheet is that it's printed as Amorous Len III with separate "Gl" & "G" decals to add yourself - I guess there is some copyright issue here, but I thought it was a nice solution. And I don't know who Len is, or why he's feeling amorous

No decal film, and they conformed into the panel lines and rivets really easily, with a little help from Mr. Mark Softer Neo

You can even read the "Hamilton Standard" logos on the prop

And, finally, even though you can barely see any of it, here is a shot of the IP - It's not accurate by any means, but it's enough for me - even brought a small smile to the Queen's face

Cheers for looking, and comments are always appreciated!
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 06:27 AM UTC
Nice P-51 Anirudh - and excellent natural metal finish, too. It is good to see a Mustang model that doesn't look like it has been chromed!
Anirudharun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2020 - 06:55 AM UTC
Thanks Tim!

I'm very happy with the metal finish! The MRP lacquers were great but they would've been way too shiny out of the bottle without any weathering or clear coats.
 _GOTOTOP