_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
News
Roden: Kaydet Released
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 06:16 AM UTC

Roden has released the 1/32 scale Boeing-Stearman PT-17 Kaydet

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 07:48 AM UTC
Thanks for posting Tim.
This looks really nice. Definitely have to add to my wish list.
chenango55
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 09:05 AM UTC
I got the kit last week and it is very nice. It would be interesting to see how it compares to ICM's. I cannot wait to build it and hope we will see some aftermarket decals for it. Also, it would be great to see some resin and decals for the stunt birds too. I can say buy it and you will be pleased!
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 - 11:44 AM UTC
I used to work with Dr. Robert Stearman at Dugway Proving Ground. He was one of the Research scientists working Chemical defense projects in the 1984, and had been at Dugway since the 60s. He was a brilliant guy, and held dual PhDs in Chemical and Mechanical Engineering. One day, I was in his office discussing a research project, and noticed a photo of A very young Robert Stearman and another person standing in front of the polished metal propeller of an early Stearman Bipe. I casually mentioned it was a “neat” he’d found a plane with his name on it to pose with. He was a character, and exclaimed “you’ve got it backwards, that’s a photo of my name on a plane”. I thought he was being funny, until He then explained the Stearman Aircraft Company was founded by his older brother, Lloyd, and that was Lloyd and him standing in front of a Stearman in 1930. I’ve always wanted to build one of these in memory of him, although by the time the Kaydet arrived, Stearman Aircraft had been bought by several companies. He told lots of stories of the development of this aircraft, and how it “won” WWII, training 90% of US pilots, across all services, and a good number of commonwealth pilots. Prior and during WWII, he’d actually worked as a consulting mechanical engineer for Boeing on the Kaydet. But the family always had trouble with the fact the family name had sold out to Boeing in the 30s. I’m Looking forward to this kit. Hopefully it’s affordable (for me anyway).
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP