_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Classic FROG Shark - Out of Box
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 01:19 PM UTC
Well the people have spoken, and the winner in my poll to see what should be reviewed next was the Blackurn Shark, from FROG. This is one of those “Because you demanded it!” moments, and I have to say, I was surprised the Shark came out on top.

It was close with the Neiuport and Macchi coming in close second and third, but the mighty Shark won out!

Hailing from the 1968 time period, this first-style boxing certainly has he years on its side! So, if you’ like me and love a good classic kit, or you just want to see how it was done in the old days, check out the link below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/frog-1-72-blackburn-shark-out-of-box/

Bravo1102
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
AeroScale: 64 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 - 09:02 PM UTC
Timely as I just finished my second one. Smer and Modelcraft(Canada) boxing's also are this kit with not quite so matte decals. The Modelcraft(canada) boxing has Canadian markings included instead of the Portuguese and camouflaged planes.

The kit even has the little propeller for the auxiliary motor used on the trainer/target tug version.

Modelcraft (Canada) is not to be confused with Hobbycraft Canada. There are also an Asian and Russian Modelcraft that are also different.

Hobbycraft Canada released new Korean engineered molds of various aircraft.

Modelcraft Canada reboxed kits from different makers from Frog (via Russia) to Matchbox and even Academy and Nitto/Bluetank with new marking variations and occasionally conversion parts. (Like a reboxed Frog Wellington I with resin mark II cowlings and an extensive decal sheet for 8 aircraft)
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hey Steve!

Man, that's timing indeed! I will admit to never having heard of, or knowingly seen, a Modelcraft Canada kit. Of course, I may have one somewhere and not have reaslized it, too!

I do like that it comes with the prop for the target tug gear! So, did you paint yours in the black/yellow striping of the tugs? That is a cool paint!

Thanks for the info!
Bravo1102
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
AeroScale: 64 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2020 - 11:49 AM UTC
I was dull and did the doped aluminum and grey of the Portuguese float plane and the FAA torpedo bomber.

Sharks were the observer float plane for Repulse and Warspite early in the war but I couldn't scratch build the canopy so I did the Portuguese one.

The camo scheme may be for one used at Dunkirk to tow flares but I wanted to fit the torpedo so I did FAA 1936.

The markings for the ones used to bomb the Japanese in 1943 would be interesting with the Asian theater stripes and roundel.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2020 - 12:38 PM UTC
You may say "boring", but that is a very pretty paint. I wish the Sharks came in the early war FAA colours, like on a Fulmar. I love that scheme!

Are there any good pictures of Far-East Sharks, anywhere? I've not seen any!
 _GOTOTOP