_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
AMT A-20 Question
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 03:26 AM UTC
I happened upon a very nice build by a guy named Tony Bell. In his notes he says he moved the main landing gear struts forward 1/4 inch. Is that a known thing? Only reference I've managed to find about that.
KPHB17FE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2020 - 05:47 AM UTC
I have read the same but never followed up on it. I built one a few years back and was happy with it out of the box. Others can probably answer this in more detail though.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 01:34 PM UTC

It does appear to make sense: A huge discrepancy by any measure... Still a great kit in my opinion.

Gaston
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 - 04:51 AM UTC
That's perfect! And yes, for an older kit it is nice, even if the B version has the wrong exhaust outlets.
Thanks for posting that.
The kit barely has enough room to add weight to the nose as it is. I imagine it'll need even more if I move the main gear forward.

I also notice the front strut looks too short. Is that a matter of combat loaded vs. Empty, I wonder?
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 12:53 PM UTC

It does look way too short...

I would also angle its profile into a more forward rake, as that is something often wrong on WWII kit nose gear: All P-38 kits are the same, too short and not enough forward "kick"...

Jet kit nose gears seems less often wrong, because they are often just straight down and a big rigid piece, but WWII aircraft kits have to be double checked on all possible views, as no two type does the same thing, and they vary far more under prop power or hydraulic pressure (engine running or not) or fuel/underwing loads...

Gaston
KPHB17FE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 292 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 02:43 PM UTC
Looks like AMT missed the way the turret is faired in as well. But as has been pointed it out, it builds up pretty good. If anyone finds the article on the gear fix, I hope you will post a link here. Maybe on my next one...
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

L But as has been pointed it out, it builds up pretty good.

No question about that! For certain models, "it looks like a * * * fits the bill, though one can always strive to make it even better.
 _GOTOTOP