_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
WALKAROUND
B-17F Memphis Belle
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 02:19 PM UTC

Memphis Belle is perhaps the most famous and recognizable B-17. In 2018, on the 75th anniversary of her famous 25th mission, the National Museum of the US Air Force unveiled her after a lengthy restoration.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 07:15 AM UTC
Thanks Fred, these are excellent!

Michael
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2019 - 07:47 AM UTC
Thanks Fred, I followed the WPAFM renovation project with great interest as I was scratchbuilding a 1/16 scale waist gunner position based on Verlinden's waist gunner. But after seeing the renovation photos, I ended up only using the figure when I realized everything else had to be scratch built. It was truly interesting to see almost everything taken apart, stripped down to the bare metal, and then reassembled and re-painted, and the USAFM should be proud of their efforts. They also had a great roll out ceremony. I understand why they hung it from the ceiling, but it's sad too, that you can't walk up and touch it (one reason they hung it from the ceiling I think). The "Boeing Bee", another (formerly flying) B-17F is parked at Seattle's Museum of Flight-- and you can get right up to it, but, it's not the same as this history making aircraft. It's great to see it on display again, thanks for posting.
VR, Russ
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 02:31 PM UTC
Wow, Frederick, what a fantastic resource! Thank you!

I agree about the B-17F parked at Seattle's Museum of Flight-- better for modelling reference since you can see it better on the ground.
 _GOTOTOP