_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Doin the Dornier - 1/72 Special Hobby Do 27
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2019 - 06:53 AM UTC
I picked this one up at a show a few weeks ago, there was one built on one of the tables and since I have been fond of this aircraft for a long time (it flew in the Swedish Airforce, a bit of an oddity there since there were only five of them) it quickly went to the top of the build pile! I won't do a Swedish one though, they were all green and a bit boring, I'll go for a West German one in classic cold war camo and with dayglo panels on it. What not to like - besides that I just love the word "Bundesluftwaffe" !

Good looking box art - absolutely essential if you want to sell a kit to me!

Decal options. I'll go for the one on the box art!

Bits and pieces! More options than one would expect, several different kinds of landing gear and wheels and a whole load of bumps and lumps as befits this kind of fairly modern aircraft. I've already weeded the sprues for stuff that won't go into the build and ended up with a ziplock bag full of spares!

Decals, clear parts (I promise you, they are there!) and even a tiny fret of PE. Strangely enough there are no belts but more on that later.

As I wrote at the top, I picked this one up a few weeks ago and couldn't resist starting it...

Interior with a minimum of dress-up in the form of tape seat belts from Jammydog masking tape.

Fuselage front and rear parts glued and fixed for the glue to harden.

This morning's handiwork: interior painted...

...and instrument decal attached to the panel!

Now on to some more detail painting, with a bit of luck I can close the fuselage tonight!

Magnus
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2019 - 09:35 AM UTC

Magnus,

very nice choice and good start.
Looking foreward to your next enjoyable build!

Below you can see my option for the Do 27 I bought around Christmas. Always waited for that in 72 scale as I have only Revell's kit in 1/32 that is big and need the stripes to be painted ...
Hope to get my hands on it soon.

Th mas
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2019 - 10:10 PM UTC
Thomas! So you went for the Zebra ! It turned up quickly over at IPMS Stockholm as well but I stick to my military version ! I must admit that I'm curious about the zebra decals though!

Magnus
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2019 - 01:49 AM UTC
Cool looking aircraft and a nice looking kit, and you are off to a good start on the office. I will be keeping an eye on this build Magnus!

Cheers, D
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 10:46 PM UTC
Well this is certainly an odd topic.

But, I'm definitely along for the ride

BTW you need to get that apostrophe after "Doin" removed from the title otherwise no email notifications will go out
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 07:31 AM UTC
Damian! Thanks for keeping me company!

Russell! It's a bit of a Storch on steroids and a bit of Cub as well but it really looks like no other aircraft with those big combined glass doors and windscreen! And thanks for explaining why I don't get any mails, I can't fix that issue by myself though !

The all important German RAL Check - has to be done if you want to use the word "Bundesluftwaffe" ! I realised I had a RAL fan deck left over from an old customer's project, grey is a bit off but green is spot on. Looks too dark on the Tempest paint victim though so I will lighten them both a bit before going live on the Dornier.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 08:42 AM UTC
I've been away cycling for a week but now I'm back at the workbench!

The glazing is a critical part of this kit, thankfully the fit is good! I've painted the edges of the glass and the corresponding edges of the fuselage black, after that I carefully seeped some glue along the edges and let it set for a few hours. I then filled the remaining seams with super glue, let it set for 24 hours and then I sanded and polished both the seam and the rest of the glazing using Micro Mesh polishing pads and finally Micro-gloss "Liquid Abrasive". Super glue fogs clear plastic but the fogging can be removed with a Q-tip as long as the surface is reachable.

Some serious masking! The big doors have to be painted both inside and out.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 07:55 PM UTC
Raining outside, family sleeps - some quality time with a cup of coffee and the airbrush in "the sty" !

Re-priming with white where I've been sanding, day-glo, priming the inside of the already masked clear parts with black and then following up with the interior grey...

...and finally going Bananas with the Basaltgrau! I settled for lightening it quite a bit, adding about 30% white to the grey.

That's what I call some morning!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2019 - 10:32 PM UTC
It's still raining...

Fuselage needs some more care so it's lagging behind a bit.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2019 - 03:52 AM UTC
And still it rains...

Masking trial, I'm not too happy about the result. I will try cutting the masks from a sheet of Tamiya-tape instead since the film is a bit on the stiff side and the knife seems to have some difficulty cutting all the way through in tight corners.

I found the aircraft I'll do on this sheet from HaHen decals. To my huge disappointment, the camo schemes in the profiles and the plan views are pure fiction while Special Hobby got theirs just right (there are dozens of photos on the Internet of several machines, past and present, they are all painted the same pattern no matter when or where the photos were taken). This immediately makes me very suspicious about the rest of the information but I've settled for this one anyway...

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2019 - 05:52 PM UTC

I couldn't keep away from masking the crosses and do a little painting...

...and even if it does look OK in this photo I wasn't too happy with the result. It has since then been sanded off, I'm in for a new try today ! (It turned thick and glossy and I managed to do a finger print in it...)

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, June 09, 2019 - 07:04 AM UTC
Summer has come so I've spent a lot of time on my road bike lately but thankfully there was a bit of rain this weekend...

Preparing the fuselage for painting. I've masked the huge glass panels using Parafilm and I've attached them using MicroMask so that I'll be able to pry them open again later.

While waiting for the MicroMask to set, I re-did the wing crosses from an earlier posting...

...this time with a much better result...

...and even the lower surfaces came out well !

I spent the last of the black paint in the airbrush as sort of a primer on the clear parts.

Finally, this is a worthwhile investment if someone else is Doin' the Dornier: I have no idea how old this is (probably the 1980's or so) but it can still be bought new off ebay for a very reasonable price! Lots of photos, colour profiles and photo captions in English if your German happens to be in the same shape as mine !

Magnus
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Summer has come so I've spent a lot of time on my road bike lately but thankfully there was a bit of rain this weekend...
... Lots of photos, colour profiles and photo captions in English if your German happens to be in the same shape as mine !

Magnus

Very nice work, Magnus!
Looks like you have fun. The painted crosses were really lovely.
And a good research as well - I've had no clue about that book, though my German's a bit on the better side

Th mas
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2019 - 06:59 AM UTC
Thomas! I could never have guessed that you know German !

Sorry for the delay but now things are up-and-running again after two weeks in France!

Fuselage camo finished, time to add crosses, codes and then a light-grey belly!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2019 - 05:39 PM UTC
I didn't get to the painting stage last night but at least some masks are in place!

Cutting in masking tape is something I tested when finally giving up hope on succeeding with the ordinary masking film. When designs get small enough, the Cameo struggles to get clean, straight, lines in the fairly thick film and these letters were certainly below the limit where things cut easily!

I took some wide masking tape, attached it to a film sheet, loaded the cutter and made sure that it was centered to cut in the middle of the tape and pressed "go" - not too bad and a lot better than I have managed in the masking film! Still, for larger designs, the film cuts beautifully sharp and clean so this is a trick I'll use when running into trouble with smaller designs.

Magnus

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 - 07:40 PM UTC
I know I have shown this kind of sequences before but it doesn't change much from time to time so here we go again...

A first layer of white that will become the outline of the numbers later on...

... a second set of masks added to the number 36 that covers just the outline. By this stage I'm a bit nervous since the outline is fairly thin and centering is important.

Far beyond the point of no return...

...but luckily I got an acceptable result! I might touch it up slightly using a thin paintbrush and white paint.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 - 06:28 PM UTC
Dornier in the summer...

Finished with painting and masking now!

Other things to do like painting all small stuff!

Just to be honest: this is what my handiwork looks like when looking really close! Flaking and uneven edges were fixed using a small paintbrush and white paint later.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 - 08:30 AM UTC
The project is still alive, I've managed to put in a few hours in the evenings lately.

Decals are on and I've done some weathering using pastels. I think I'll give it a wash as well since I would like a bit more definition around the panels to sharpen the general feeling of detail.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 07:23 AM UTC
I dared to give it a wash even if it was in the wrong order compared to my usual painting and weathering sequence!

I was very careful since I hade already gone over the model with some semi-matt varnish, I didn't want the wash to spread uncontrolled over the surfaces. Now I'm rather happy by the look, I can't put off gluing those landing gears any longer...

Magnus
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hi Magnus!

great to see you back at the bench again!

I thought maybe you'd gone rogue on your bike or lost on rivet hell on the Lancaster!

Anyways, this one is coming along very nice.

BTW, in order to remove the ' from your title you'd nee to message the thread's host, Tim Hatton, and request the title be changed
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2019 - 06:57 PM UTC
Russell! Point taken, I've sent an email to Tim

And landing gear is on now even if there is no photo evidence yet

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 08:08 AM UTC
Not many bits and pieces left now!

Prop still needs a satin coat and detail painting isn't finished either but in this state it could certainly make a good maintenance diorama !

Magnus
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 11:13 AM UTC
certainly an interesting plane, with a civilian style silhouette but a military colour scheme...

as always though Magnus, very clean and tidy work
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, September 07, 2019 - 06:01 PM UTC
Russell! A bit like a Cub but beefier and I think it looks rather modern despite it's 1950:s heritage.

So, finally finished!

Kit is really nice, I wish there had been some kind of seatbelts included though (cast into the seats would have been fine with me). There is lots of optional parts in the kit (among them several different wheel types and landing gear) and there is a potential for doing many fun paint schemes. If you're not into military stuff, there is always the boxing with the famous Zebra-Dornier...

Time to add this one to the collection!

Magnus
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 01:37 PM UTC
Magnus, once again you've done a fantastic job!

A very surprising and different topic to what is the norm on forums, so really great to see...

Now what's next on the bench and how is the Lanc coming along ?
 _GOTOTOP