_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
HK Models: Dambuster Coming Soon
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 09:55 PM UTC

Hong Kong Models has hinted that the release of the 1/32 scale Avro Lancaster B Mk.III Dambuster will be out around the date of the anniversary of Operation Chastise

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 04:57 AM UTC
I know so many modelers who are jazzed about this.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 06:05 AM UTC
A less costly alternative to the WnW version maybe? I know WnW has 2019 as their release date. If this HK Models version is out only "in time for the anniversary", WnW will have beat them to market by a considerable amount of time-- like over 18 months (May 16th 1943 was the raid). Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about another entrant into the "Dambuster's ring", but since HK already has a Lancaster kit out, whats taking them so long? Now, which version to choose from???
VR, Russ
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 07:34 AM UTC
Now, which version to choose from???
VR, Russ[/quote]

If you are only going to build one, do you really need to ask that question? Just look at a number of build reviews on the HK kit so far which have identified a number of (avoidable) issues. One bloke on YT has even completely rebuilt the cockpit (for a kit costing almost £400?) because it seems to be a 'Frankenstein' of different marks.

I will only build one and it's WNW as a no brainier for the same or less in price!

Gary
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, which version to choose from???
VR, Russ

If you are only going to build one, do you really need to ask that question? Just look at a number of build reviews on the HK kit so far which have identified a number of (avoidable) issues. One bloke on YT has even completely rebuilt the cockpit (for a kit costing almost £400?) because it seems to be a 'Frankenstein' of different marks.

I will only build one and it's WNW as a no brainier for the same or less in price!

Gary [/quote]

Sorry, I haven't read any build reviews on the HK Lancaster yet--frankly, I have no interest in the standard Lanc, only in the B MkIII and the rest of the "Specials". I've seen the HK model (an under construction build) up close at a couple of club meetings I've attended, and it looks good so far. However, my first inclination would likely be to buy it from WnW anyway, as I have about 15 of their excellent WWI kits, and I can't see them screwing this up given Peter Jackson's interest in the raid. The late release of HK's seems kind of strange to me too, given the fact the molds are already in use-- maybe they intend to revise them to fix any problems--maybe that's why the long lead time here?
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP