MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 11:12 AM UTC
So I'm thinking seriously about the new Eduard 1/48 Tempest kits and I notice that they early version (series I) has individual etched metal reinforcement plates to go around the tail seem as were used on the Typhoon. I've done some looking at my Tempest references and can't see that these were ever used on that aircraft. Am I missing something that Eduard spotted?

Michael
baldwin8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 89 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 - 02:03 AM UTC
Found in Wikipedia

"During production of the first batch of 100 Tempest V "Series Is", distinguishable by their serial number prefix JNxxx, several improvements were progressively introduced and were used from the outset on all succeeding Tempest V "Series 2s", with serial number prefixes EJ, NV and SN. The fuselage/empennage joint originally featured 20 external reinforcing "fishplates", similar to those fitted to the Typhoon, but it was not long before the rear fuselage was strengthened and, with the fishplates no longer being needed, the rear fuselage became detachable."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Tempest#cite_note-Bentley_1973,_pp._92-93.-31

I remember seeing something in a post on britmodeller but can't seem to find it right now.

Craig
 _GOTOTOP