Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Montex Mask MM48029 MiG-3 ID?
awrc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 02:19 PM UTC
Does anybody know of a profile/info on the third aircraft that can be painted using the masks in this set?

Two of them are aircraft from the photo of the “last three” painted in white over Blue with a straight red arrow and slogans “Za Rodina” and “Za Partiy Bolshevikov”. However the masks also include what appear to be masks for bordered stars and the number “12”. There is another well known MiG-3 photo of a white aircraft with “Black 12” on the tail and black-bordered stars. However, the style of the number “12” is completely different.

Does anybody know which aircraft these masks might be intended for? I haven’t been able to find any profiles or photos of an aircraft that they could be used with.

Al
awrc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 09:30 AM UTC
Replying to myself, since I figured out the answer when I actually bothered to look at the kit box - I've got the ICM kit in the N. Krasnov boxing (48052)

Turns out the "12" is a white 12 for the aircraft flown by Krasnov when assigned to 31 IAP in March 1942, green on top, blue underneath. I'm guessing the apparently bordered stars on the sheet are in fact just different sized stars.

Slightly annoyingly, the kit box art gives no indication as to the presence or absence of stars above the wings for the later marking option. I guess I've still got a little looking to do.

Al
 _GOTOTOP