_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Foreign Fighters Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 12:02 PM UTC
Well, it's the new year and time for this campaign to get going. Welcome to the Foreign Fighters Campaign.

The campaign will run from 1 January through 1 August, 2019.

If you haven't signed up yet, or want to see the rules, go here.

Please post your initial and in-progress photos as well as campaign discussion in this thread. Please post your finished build photos in the campaign gallery.

Looking forward to some great builds honoring those fearless fliers who volunteered for foreign fights!

Michael
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 12:27 PM UTC
So, a ribbon.

I fully understand where Robby is coming from and like the design, but I have to agree with Torsten that the lack of any air arm is an issue.

Since we here in the States seem to be perennially late to the fight, I thought of this one as a possibility:

I know it's kind of limited in what it displays, but it kind of gets the point across. Opinions?

Michael
AmTrac1833
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 03:42 PM UTC
This one is very tempting. Gotta sort out couple other builds before commiting. Motivation comes from book I read, "Gunship Ace." Definitely hits all the wickets but don't have a Hind in the stash - yet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0bC0zPngc4c
PasiAhopelto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 07:11 PM UTC
And here are my entries:

Both planes are from Flight Regiment 19 that used Swedish planes (12 Gladiators and others) and were manned by Swedish volunteers. The unit fought in last two months of Winter War in northern Finland and shot down or destroyed on ground 12 Soviet planes. They lost six planes of which two were combat losses (Gloster Gladiator and Hawker Hart).

They share the same plastic parts by Roden, so I'll build both at the same time and hopefully finish at least one. Will use the F 19's "national" markings of the above photos (skull and bones, machine gunner). F 19 was Swedish unit, so they didn't use Finnish markings. And because Sweden wasn't at war with Russia, they couldn't really use Swedish markings either.

Propster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 81 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 11:38 PM UTC
Happy New Year to everyone.

Returning to the hobby on a limited basis after a hiatus.

Signed up and joined in this campaign.

I will be building Eduard's 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk.XVI as flown initially by Group Captain Gabszewicz, CO of No. 131 Wing and then by Squadron Leader Broleslaw Kaczmarek, the CO of No. 302 Squadron.

john41492
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Malacca, Malaysia
KitMaker: 363 posts
AeroScale: 335 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hi All,

Happy New Year!

Another group build I've been looking forward to! I'm in with Monogram's venerable P-40B, done in AVG garb. I may have to do a blog on this one, still undecided. This one has a special meaning for me on two fronts.

Michael, I like the design it even has the "Boxing Chicken", err, I mean the "Fighting Eagle"!

Enjoy!

John
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 03:29 AM UTC
I like the ribbon, but then I'm an American doing a Flying Tiger, so I could be biased.
Now I gotta go find that old Pavla Curtis Hawk 81.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 04:49 AM UTC
This made my hands itch. There is a single Turkish pilot volunteer in Korean War who served with USAF in A-26 (or was it B-26 at that period...Invader) since Turkey only participated with ground forces to the conflict. He is KIA along with his crew, so yes, Turkish Air Force has 100% loss rate in Korean War* If I can menage to find details of his aircraft and move some muscles and be bothered to build a model at all it would be nice to participate.

*Ok, this is not based on facts, just word of mouth so "citation needed" :}
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:16 PM UTC
Yalym great idea! Taking a leaf from your book I'll be doing a 363rd fighter squadron USAAF bird flown by the only New Zealander to fly with USAAF during World war 2 a young man by the name of Jack Cleland. See link for info. It's an interesting colour scheme (color for you Americans LOL) RAF dark green over RAF medium sea grey with red and yellow checkers around the nose and possibly a Red Rudder but I'm not 100% on that yet.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 10:08 AM UTC
I've ordered a set of decals from Evilbay with the appropriate decals for the checkered nose I'll just have to create the Isobel III decal for the nose, free hand it/ create a mask either or, we'll see. And according to the stash database I've got a Tamiya P-51D so I'm sorted .... for now!
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 04:02 PM UTC
I'm in with an old AMC-Ertl release of a Mk.VIII Spitfire, modified to portray a Mk.IXe in IAF service! I think I've settled for "White 26" as flown by Mitchell Flint, a decorated American pilot who defied the law and his poor mother in order to defend the fledgling nation from the skies. Check this site for a surprising amount of information on the equipment and people of Israel's 101 Squadron.

Regarding the ribbon...I can understand the issue with lacking an air arm and I do like Michael's ribbon...in full size all the detail gets merged into just a few pixels when scaled down to the actual award size. Lemme see if I can tempt you all with this latest design. If not, I'll shut up and just build my model already!
Still trying to keep it basic, the middle reflects the Flying Tigers' shark mouth and the flanks reflect the Condor Legion's tail flash. Thoughts?

Scaled down to award size:
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 03:04 AM UTC
Not bad Robbie! More visible when smaller and more inclusive.

Michael
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
AeroScale: 316 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 - 03:44 PM UTC
I`m in with this Mosquito.
I make the airplane of one of the more than 800 argentine volunteers in the RAF and RCAF

IMG_8585 by Shaky962, en Flickr
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 02:33 AM UTC
This will be my entry:
Hasegawa Bf 109 F-2 (1/48) of the 2. Equadrilla Azul, 1942 as part of JG 51, flown by spanish volunteers on the Eastern Front.

I will need some time before beginning though, because I still have 2 Saab Gripen on my workbench which I want to finish first. Maybe end of January/early February ....

Torsten
Removed by original poster on 01/14/19 - 06:08:37 (GMT).
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 09:15 AM UTC
I start the model....

01 by Shaky962, en Flickr

02 by Shaky962, en Flickr

03 by Shaky962, en Flickr
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 04:14 AM UTC
Like the 94th Aero Sqn, it's time to throw my hat in the ring! Initial progress on the Spitfire has been slow, mostly due to the unhelpful directions from Fotokit's PE cockpit set. I'm mostly using this as a way to practice PE rather than to achieve ultrarealism (AMT's base kit certainly isn't winning any awards there...)

For the most part, I've parsed out the major sections and how to add them to the cockpit. I took down molded plastic at the pedals, seatback armor, control panel, and the throttle and landing gear quadrants.

I also cut out the drop-door on the port fuselage to make room for the PE version (somehow made up of 10 pieces ). I'm going to display it open-canopy, and if the PE wasn't used for anything else, this alone was a great addition.

Bragging time: the carpet in my apartment is tan/beige and very thick, yet I found every piece of PE that I dropped!! And I dropped a number of pieces... Get yourself a ridiculously bright flashlight and that can make all the difference when battling the carpet monster!

Finally, here's my progress thus far. Cockpit is essentially done to my liking. I just need to figure out how the PE frames, Sutton harness, and canopy will all fit together and if I need to assemble all that before or after mating the fuselage halves. I also clipped the wingtips, as White 26 was one of the low-altitude Spits.
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2019 - 04:58 AM UTC
So today's my birthday (whoopee.) and I got something that will fit very nicely in this campaign:

I've been looking for an excuse to get this kit for awhile and now, here it is! I'm going for a Foreign Fighter double whammy:

Capt. Francis Gabreski, an American flying for a Polish squadron in the British Royal Air Force. Should be fun!

Michael
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2019 - 04:52 PM UTC
Hi,

My local hobby advise me that´s imposible to obtain the conversion for the night fighter Mosquito to the Revell kit.
I need to look for another kit for this campaign
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2019 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hi Jose just as a thought could you make this work? Being plastic it should hopefully be easier to blend?
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hola Amigos! I'm trying to improve my spanish for this build ....

Started my Escuadrilla Azul 109 last week and this is how far I came until yesterday evening. The Eduard mask EX018 doesn't fit well for the middle section of the canopy, so I added a bit of Kip Tape ....
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 - 10:03 AM UTC
Probably going to be slow progress from here on out, school is starting up in earnest again this week. Fortunately the heavy work is done, so I should be able to do bite-sized work every now and then without feeling overwhelmed.

Cockpit went together quickly, except for the dials. The guy I bought the kit from included the Fotokit PE set as well as a set of Waldron Model Productions British aircraft dials...those things are ridiculous and a level of detail that I just don't need (especially in 1/48), but it was included so I had to try them out. WMP recommended a punch-and-die set, but I just used some surgical scissors for a rough cut. Dials were then sandwiched between the PE panels and dotted with Future for a glassy look. Like I said, way too much work for minimal return, but free is free

The rest of the PE went together pretty easily, relatively speaking. I don't know enough about the Sutton harness to really make it look "real" but I did want to incorporate the rear steel cables. Two lengths of wire twisted about each other and looped at the end, glued the loop onto the PE belt and let the remainder dangle in the fuselage. When closed, it's completely hidden and looks pretty good!

Kinda rushed mating the fuselage halves and wings due to my looming time crunch. But the fit wasn't too bad, just a few egregious spots which cleaned up okay post-putty. Gap-filling glue has become my friend, however Armament was replaced with Master-Model turned brass barrels, excellent quality as usual! And the kit modified easily to receive them.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 - 04:18 AM UTC
Nice progress Robby!

Here comes my weekly update. Assembly of the 109 is nearly completed, only prop and landing gear is missing. Have done the primer over all. Further progress was made by painting the yellow fuselage band and the yellow underwing tips. Sorry, forgot to take a photo of that. With a little luck I can start tomorrow painting RLM 76 and then 74/75. But my oil compressor had a break down on Friday. Now I have my small 14 years old piston compressor in use until the bigger one is repaired. So everything will go a bit slower in the next days ....

Torsten

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2019 - 02:28 AM UTC
Made some small progress this week. First RLM 76 (Vallejo 71257) on the underside and the sides of the fuselage ....

.... which was followed by a lot of masking ....

.... yesterday I airbrushed RLM 75 (Vallejo 71259) on the top sides ....

.... next week it's time for RLM 74 (Vallejo 71258) and killing some overspray.

Torsten
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2019 - 02:41 AM UTC
Wow, this one forgot all about me. Found my Pavla Hawk 81A. Now I gotta clear some future hanger queens off of my bench.
 _GOTOTOP