Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 Hurricane Mk I from Arma Hobby
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 08:24 AM UTC

So, once again my poor Lancaster gets jumped in the queue by the latest and greatest Arma Hobby kit. Life ain't fair!

I put my name on the list late summer for the new 1/72 Arma Hurricane and it arrived here early this week, just in time for Christmas. Really good timing!

To be honest, I got two: one ordinary with my name on it (the "Expert" set) and one set of overtrees (or überbaums as its Luftwaffe adversaries would have called it in 1940 ). To be even more honest (more honest than I dare to be in front of my family...) an Arma Fokker E.V was delivered at the same time. Since the postman already had found his way here...

Once again some very attractive box art!

Plastic parts. Well moulded, nice surface finish, petite engraving, low parts count. Me likey!

The goodies from the Expert set: masks and photo etch and a decal sheet with four full options. Three classic BoB Hurricanes and one with tropical filter and DH prop from the SAAF in Kenya 1941. I feel a bit prejudiced since I haven't tried the decals yet but I so wish they were Cartograf decals like in the PZL and Fokker Expert sets, not Techmod like these. But who knows, they might work like a charm anyway. Nothing wrong with the printing though, they are sharper than my scalpels!

Even if it looks like your average WWII fighter kit, it is not entirely conventional in a very positive way! Both the upper and lower wings are cast as one part each, eliminating any guesswork when it comes to dihedral. Also, gear wells and landing gear are installed very early in the process, a mixed blessing but Hurricane gear is fairly sturdy so handled with moderate care it shouldn't cause any undue problems I think.

Cockpit floorboards, stick and rudder pedals are glued to the top side of the same center section. Tail surfaces are also cleverly designed with the offset fin going into a slot on the full-width tailplanes.

Dry fitting suggests excellent parts fit. I've found some minor sink marks and in some places where parts fit slot-in-hole the holes needs enlarging with a drill but rather that than the opposite situation!

I'm looking forward to an enjoyable Christmas build, stay tuned!

Magnus
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 10:21 AM UTC
Nice one Magnus!

I've been intrigued by this kit since it was first announced. I must say, from your initial photos, the panel lines do look heavy for 1:72- reminiscent of Matchbox from years ago? But the shape is what's important - I know Mal loves his Spitfires, but I've always had a soft spot for the Hurricane!

All the best

Rowan
alves
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 47 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 12:40 PM UTC
Mine is coming in 2019
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2018 - 08:38 PM UTC
A Christmas Eve update!

Rowan! I'm really not a Hurricane-guy at all (yet ) but to my eyes it looks really good shape-wise. Anyway, we can't accuse Arma of not trying very hard at least, it was their goal from the start of the project. I don't have the new Airfix kit (and not the old one either), otherwise it would be a fun comparison.

Regarding the panel lines: no, they are certainly not Matchbox, I would say they are as good as they get in 72-scale. Eduard-style I would say and a lot sharper than the latest Airfix kits I have built!

Fernando! Then you have something fun to look forward to!

Holiday season is fantastic, whenever I get a spare hour I can do a bit of work at the modelling table. A bit of detail painting, then it is time to close the fuselage!

Bits and bobs painted! I use mostly Hataka paints on this one.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 03:35 AM UTC
And now an update for Christmas day!

Cockpit finished! I'm not going for any kind of super detail even it the kit has all that it takes do go over the top!

I had decided not to use any photoetch but pilfered the belts from the sheet anyway...

And a finished prop!

Now it's time to close up the fuselage and attach the wings...

Magnus
RLlockie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
AeroScale: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 07:51 PM UTC
Looks nice so far but isn’t part of the Sutton harness missing? The Y-shaped piece that goes over the shoulders should go through the slot in the rear of the seat, shouldn’t it?
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 08:36 PM UTC
Nice kit and good start, Magnus!
Was close to put my hands on the new Airfix kit from the stash
but for now I'll going to watch your build first.

Th mas
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 - 08:44 PM UTC
Robert! That part is included in PE but I cheated and opted not to use it, it got a bit too fiddly...

Thomas! I wish I had that Hurricane here, I've stood in the shop with the rag wing Airfix Hurricane in my hands but put it back on the shelf every time...

Final assembly was a really quick process, once again with excellent fit!

In order to compensate for my belt cheating, I've filed out the wingtip lights and prepared some clear sprue with drilled out lamps.

Magnus
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 02:08 AM UTC
Magnus,
this seems to be a very nice little kit and Your built is promising as before. So, I will take my chair and will enjoy Your built!

Oliver
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 08:00 AM UTC
Oliver! Thanks for keeping me company!

Wingtip lights have been sanded to shape. When looking closely at the clear sprues I realise that there is a set included in the kit. The wingtip will have to be cut anyway though! Landing lights are a bit on the large side, making them perfect to glue and fill in place with generous amounts of super glue and then contouring them according to the leading edges with a file and some sand paper. Final touch was polishing them with MicroMesh sanding pads.

I have yet to fit the canopy, then it is painting time!

Magnus
Bjreg3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 08:38 AM UTC
So far, so nice! Watching with interest as mine has yet to arrive.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 - 08:56 AM UTC
You know, Magnus, that's the unfair thing about 1/72 compared to 1/48. Less parts and a good fitting and you're ready in a moment... I'm still struggling with those Italeri Gripens. Okay, at the moment I'm not struggling at all, because I'm on holidays for New Years Eve.

Best wishes from Vilnius
Torsten
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 02:38 AM UTC
Bob! Santa should have come with it !

Torsten! That must be the definition of a bad model - the modeller has to flee to Vilnius ! I hope you've had a happy New Year!

Canopy finally masked and fitted, some careful sanding to be done around the windscreen edges. Not that easy and next time I will opt for building it open with a vacform sliding part. There is an obvious masking malfunction as well on the middle panel...

Magnus
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hi Magnus

Lovely job on the navigation lamps. They look really excellent!

All the best

Rowan
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 09:13 AM UTC
Rowan! Thanks! I've even managed to do a bit of fiddly masking around them tonight.

Primer on as a preparation for painting on the major markings. I've prepared a file with code letters and all the national insignia that I've run through the Silhouette tonight.

As a surprise bonus I got an email from Arma today, they have posted camo masks made by one of their customers to their site, downloadable as a PDF here. I quickly put mine into Silhouette Studio and made cutting files of it.

The lowest set of masks is for the very well known 85 Sqn night fighter Hurricane that my friend Anders is doing.

Magnus
BigZimmo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 117 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 09:40 PM UTC
Wow ..... Magnus !!! Superb work !!!
I know why I build in 1/48 and 1/32.
For working in the small 1/72 dimensions, I have too big drummer fingers ......
I'm looking forward to the final result.
Continue to succeed!!!!

PS: Hey, Torsten!!! See you in March at the exhibition in Zeiskam ???
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 03:19 AM UTC
Stefan! It's all due to my very slick trumpeter fingers !

I took a rush with the markings this morning, I'll be away skiing next week and it feels good to have some tangible progress before the project stalls for a week...

I'm still very fond of my supply of Gunze paints, all insignia colours were mixed from the ones you see in the photo.

Looking at the photos I get the feeling of something from a children's colouring book. And I'm sorry for my Hurricane's irritating habit of changing directions between the photos !

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 08:46 AM UTC
A final update for tonight!

Magnus
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 12:44 AM UTC

Very nice work on the way and a colorful progress indeed!
At least to me, haven't thought about painting the roundels and tail markings prior to the base colors.
Surely you have an intention in doing so.

Hope you enjoy your skiing,
Th mas
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 11:47 PM UTC
Thomas! I've had trouble with paint building up in thick layers when painting markings like these before. The theory this time is that I will be able to paint the camo with just a few very thin coats and thus avoid the edges.

Off to some more skiing now so you'll have to wait for the results

Magnus
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 - 08:30 PM UTC
Magnus! I see you are away from your Lanc again

But! The reason is more than okay!

Airfix missed a real opportunity by not releasing a metal wing Hurricane, and Arma will hopefully do very well by picking up on that!

So far, so good! Interesting tactic to paint on the roundels prior to the camo...
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 11:55 PM UTC
Sorry for the delay, I've been spending more time with the model and less with posting but here is finally an update!

Russell! That Lanc worries me a bit, I hope to get back to it later because it deserves finishing even if I am not too keen on it for the time being...

Finished lower surfaces!

Since I have all the geometry that I need in the cutting files for the masks, it was very easy to make one further set of circles with the maximum diameter of the already painted markings and a hole in the middle corresponding to the center dot in the markings. The hole in the middle is used for centering and it is then covered with a slightly larger discs.

Masking of all the markings finished, the fin flash was covered using old fashioned tape...

A bit of masking to avoid overspray on the lower surfaces (or should it be called "underspray" then?).

A thin coat of green. I will continue working the finish to bring a bit of life into it so it doesn't have to cover 110% solid.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 08:02 AM UTC
A second update for today!

As I've mentioned earlier, I downloaded a free PDF with camo masks, kindly made available through Arma Hobby from one of their customers. These were then made into a cutting file and cut out in masking film on my Silhouette Cameo.

With a bit of help from some tape it conforms well to the kit. I had to use tape both to fill in where the masks didn't cover and to force them around the leading edges since the masking film is a bit stiff.

After a session of Hataka Dark Earth...

...and then my favourite: unmasking !

Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 11:00 AM UTC
Magnus,
I already love Your Hurricane. The paint job looks flawless! I think I have to get this kit from the store as soon as possible!

Oliver
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 - 08:16 PM UTC
Oliver! You know you need one ! Apart from that it is an easy and quick build of an iconic aircraft that has been somewhat under-kitted in the past!

Preparing for painting the codes using masks...

...adding some extra tape just for safety...

...painting them using Mr Paint MSG...

...and the final result!

A first wash to pop the detail and try to break up the monotony.

Magnus
 _GOTOTOP