Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Actual Markings sizes
11Bravo_C2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 04:09 AM UTC
Is there a website or books I can reference for actual sizes (measurements) of markings on WWII US aircraft? I want to try making some decals.
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 05:42 AM UTC
i would say the easiest way is to measure the size of the decals in the scale your using. they are generally pretty scale accurate.

joe
11Bravo_C2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 06:57 AM UTC
That would work if I actually had the decals and I wouldn't need to make my own if the decals were good.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 07:32 AM UTC
Ivan,
Insignias for US aircraft during WWII were changed almost yearly. What's more the actual size of the markings usually were adjusted to the fuselage width as well as the cord of the wing 1/3 in from the wing tip. So for the same time period the markings would be different for F4Fs & F6Fs.

For modeling purposes having a set of drawings for the aircraft would generally give you the specifications for all the insignias and stencil placement. If you don't have any dimensional drawings, then you would need pictures where the markings are clearly visible as well as the model kit parts. You should be able to mark the locations using reference points from the photographs.

You could also PM Mal of Mal's Masks and ask him how he gets the measurements for his masks.

Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 07:40 AM UTC
Here's a page on getting the proportions correct and here's an early technical order which explains how the size was calculated for each individual aircraft.

Many decal companies do sheets of insignia in typical standard sizes, like this one.
bomber14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 08:04 AM UTC
that was very informative jess, thank you. i knew about the red border but never thought about the proportions of the star and the increased size of the blue disk. i have to go home and check my builds now.

joe
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

that was very informative jess, thank you. i knew about the red border but never thought about the proportions of the star and the increased size of the blue disk. i have to go home and check my builds now.

joe

The "increased size of the blue disk" is merely the previously red outline being painted a matching blue. There are photos of some very war-weary A-36s which have quite faded insignia with freshly overpainted blue outlines such as this one:

You can clearly see the original insignia inside the later outline.
11Bravo_C2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 03:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the info.
 _GOTOTOP