Italeri Hurricane Mk.IIc 1/48
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 01:49 AM UTC
My Next build ...

This will be a first for me building an Italeri kit . not sure if this is even their moldings but it say new moulds on the box and does come with a small PE fret . The left side cowl and top piece can be left off to show off the engine .
I'm thinking about cutting the right saide away and having just the top cowl in place , show off some of the engine detail .

I will be building this out of the box , it has pretty good detail .

Terri
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 02:43 AM UTC
Following all of your builds is exhausting...but bring it on!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 05:37 AM UTC
Spud , my mojo is in over drive and I'm starting to get peter out myself .

Cockpit and engine parts are cleaned up and ready for paint . After having a closer look at the parts the detail in the pit is rather soft and the details are rather simple . Engine is pretty much the same , but should look alright under some paint .

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 06:23 PM UTC
Cockpit parts are apint and tonight will start with the detail painting . Pic's up later tonight .

I do have a question ...Did the Hurricane have a head rest ?

Terri
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cockpit parts are apint and tonight will start with the detail painting . Pic's up later tonight .

Terri

Hi Terri,
That would be no to a head rest, at least typically.
I just happen to have the 'Owners Workshop Manual' out from the Library and the only possible reference I can find to a head rest is on the Sea Hurricane (possibly for catapult launches).
So if your subject is a land based hurricane then you're on safe ground to assume no head rest. [cue follow up response with hard evidence of a headrest].

regards.

I guess an edit for clarity, by headrest you mean a cushioned padding behind the head, not the seat armor behind the head?
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 12:14 AM UTC
Terri, exactly this kit I had on my bench last year for a triple Hurricane build when I noticed that 3 builds in the same time is too much for me, so I put this DAF Hurri back in my stash and stepped down for a dual build. So, I'll sit back in my armchair with a beer and some chips and follow your build ....

Torsten
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 07:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Terri

Hi Terri,
That would be no to a head rest, at least typically.
I just happen to have the 'Owners Workshop Manual' out from the Library and the only possible reference I can find to a head rest is on the Sea Hurricane (possibly for catapult launches).
So if your subject is a land based hurricane then you're on safe ground to assume no head rest. [cue follow up response with hard evidence of a headrest].

regards.

I guess an edit for clarity, by headrest you mean a cushioned padding behind the head, not the seat armor behind the head?

Yes , padding for the pilots head . Thanks Spud

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri, exactly this kit I had on my bench last year for a triple Hurricane build when I noticed that 3 builds in the same time is too much for me, so I put this DAF Hurri back in my stash and stepped down for a dual build. So, I'll sit back in my armchair with a beer and some chips and follow your build ....

Torsten

Sit back and enjoy your beer . Have one for me as well

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 07:19 AM UTC
Did get as much done as planned yesterday , but I do have the base of the colours on and started with the detail painting . Still have a bit more and then the weathering can start .

Terri
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 - 07:33 AM UTC
Terri,
OMG!! Another build on the bench and well under way. You'll have 3 builds across the finish line well before my T-33A gets across as well.

Going to pull up my old Rockin' chair, grab a cold one, and follow right along.

Gotta tell you that your British Interior Green really looks spot on.

Joel
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 - 11:50 AM UTC
Hi Terri, I am amazed by your build rate, it is very impressive! The Hurricane is looking good thus far. The IP looks especially good.

Ernest
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 - 05:07 PM UTC
Count me in as well M'am ! Just like your last few , I suspect you'll blow through this build like a hurricane! 😂😂😂 ( pun intended)

Richard
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,
OMG!! Another build on the bench and well under way. You'll have 3 builds across the finish line well before my T-33A gets across as well.

Going to pull up my old Rockin' chair, grab a cold one, and follow right along.

Gotta tell you that your British Interior Green really looks spot on.

Joel

Have a cold one for me Joel This one will take me a little longer with part clean up . The plastic is soft and light weight so it does make it easier .

I just may start another one . With more snow in the forecast for next week will need something to keep me busy . Still going to a while before I get on the bike .

For the cockpit green I used Tamiya XF-71

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 06:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terri, I am amazed by your build rate, it is very impressive! The Hurricane is looking good thus far. The IP looks especially good.

Ernest

I.m amazed myself on the build rate . This is not normal for me .

The IP isn't bad but the decal doesn't line up with the holes in PE part .

Terri

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Count me in as well M'am ! Just like your last few , I suspect you'll blow through this build like a hurricane! 😂😂😂 ( pun intended)

Richard

Your count in Richard Thanks

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ernest

I.m amazed myself on the build rate . This is not normal for me .

The IP isn't bad but the decal doesn't line up with the holes in PE part .

Terri

Terri,
When I've run into that issue of poor alignment of the instruments to the panel face, I've found that cutting the decal up into smaller sections really helps to align most if not all of the instruments.

In today's day and age, it's just inexcusable for these type of issues. Surely a case of not a sole in QC checking or caring if they were supposed to.

Joel
russamotto
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
AeroScale: 375 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 08:51 PM UTC
I've been following this build. I looked at this kit but was hesitant as Italeri haven't been the best to me but you sure make it look nice.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hi Joel ,
Normally I will cut the decal where needed but this time around I got lazy . It's easy actually , only two cuts to remove the center section .

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been following this build. I looked at this kit but was hesitant as Italeri haven't been the best to me but you sure make it look nice.

Hi Russ ,

This is my first Italeri kit and on first impression it really isn't a bad kit . Only really fit issue so far is when the lower wing is fitted , the bottom of the carb needs be sand down a bit for a good fit . So far I'm impressed with the kit .

Terri
Removed by original poster on 04/17/18 - 00:07:40 (GMT).
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 - 05:15 AM UTC
Progress from the weekend . Cockpit and engine are ready to be closed up within the fuselage halves . Which is already done and the main wings are assembly , just no pic's of this stage yet . They are coming ...

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 - 05:37 AM UTC
Terri,
Nice job on the engine. Just love how the cockpit came out with that Sutton harness.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,
Nice job on the engine. Just love how the cockpit came out with that Sutton harness.

Joel

Thanks Joel , I rather pleased myself . Didn't think the belts would have look so good . The PE parts are very think and even after anenal them they were still hard to bend .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 12:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Terri,

Joel

Thanks Joel , I rather pleased myself . Didn't think the belts would have look so good . The PE parts are very think and even after anenal them they were still hard to bend .

Terri

Terri,
That's always been my greatest fear as well. I've gone at times to making my own, but has yet to figure out how to make the snaps and latches look good enough. I did buy the Eduard ones but of course I've missed placed them quite awhile ago.

I've also bought a few different sets of cloth belts, but up close and personal, they really do look quite daunting.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 06:42 PM UTC
Hi Joel , very sorry for the late reply back . But I haven't been in front of the bench now for two weeks . Been out there riding a Cannondale now that we are having wonderful weather !

Won't be having to many more up-dates for a while or until there is a rainy day . So this will be my last one for now ...

I have finished masking the front canopy section section and it's glued in place and masking of the rear section is under way then it's off to the paint shop . The engine cowls didn't fit very well needing some sanding to get to fit . I was going to leave them off , even though the engine itself is nicely detailed it was just to bare inside the engine bay and I didn't want to spend the time adding detail .

Terri
 _GOTOTOP