Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 01:02 AM UTC
Now that the F4F-4 Wildcat is finished I have started my next build. I have had Tamiya's excellent F4U-1A in the stash for a couple of years and since I am on a bit of a PTO kick lately it called to me. I will build this mostly OOB with the only AM stuff being resin wheels, HGW seatbelts and stencil/marking decals and Eagle Editions decals. I will also only do some minor superdetailing/scratchbuilding as this is such a nice kit. I really liked the folded wings look of the Wildcat, and would like to fold the wings on this build as well. The only problem is that I also really want to show a land based Corsair on PSP Matting (And construct one of the cool palm trees I have in the stash as well). I have not found any photos showing Corsairs with their wings folded while sitting on an airfield in the Pacific - not surprising as space is not an issue at most airbases. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I have built the really nice kit radial engine, detailing it with some copper wire (my little daughter wanted me to keep the ignition wires copper just as she did when watching me work on the Wildcat - so copper they will remain!). I have gotten a bit better with my macro lens and some of the shots below really bring out some of the details. I still need to weather the engine, but I think it looks presentable overall.

Ernest

IMG_0774 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Parts ready for paint.

IMG_0773 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Spark plug head drilled out (32 of these babies!)

IMG_0775 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Painted and ready to assemble

IMG_0778 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Assembled and ready for the ignition wires to be installed.

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 01:09 AM UTC
And on to the wiring.

IMG_0780 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
First steps - I always glue the wires to the ignition harness first, than run them to the cylinder heads.

IMG_0785 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Rear of the engine with the back plugs wired.

IMG_0782 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
The front of the finished product. Wiring took about 2.5 hours to complete.

and some close ups.
IMG_0783 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
I also drilled out the black plates to pass the wire through, that was a bit fiddly but not too bad.

IMG_0784 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
A bit of redundancy here.

IMG_0786 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Close up of wires entering a couple of the spark plugs. Not perfect, but under normal viewing conditions it looks that part.

Ernest
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hi Ernest - I'll be watching this one ! This kit is enough to tempt me back into 1/32 scale !
Regarding the wing fold - I'm sure that the latch mechanism needed periodic inspections and maintenance so I think you have license to show at least one side folded .

Cheers - Richard
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 04:53 AM UTC
Will be following along on this one . Already built the birdcage version and it is an AWESOME kit ! I also have this kit in the stash as well with more resin and PE plus extras as well .

Nice job on the power plant so far and looking forward on the weathering . Which ever way you choose on the wings you will have are full attention

Terri
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 10:38 AM UTC
Hi Richard, the periodic inspection route is one I am considering to show the wings folded. I am no Corsair expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think the wings folded at the same time via the automatic folding mechanism - they appear to be linked somehow. Of course I could fold just one and call "artistic license"!

Ernest

Quoted Text

Hi Ernest - I'll be watching this one ! This kit is enough to tempt me back into 1/32 scale !
Regarding the wing fold - I'm sure that the latch mechanism needed periodic inspections and maintenance so I think you have license to show at least one side folded .

Cheers - Richard

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi Terry, if I can make my build look as good as you did with your birdcage version, I will be very satisfied with my efforts. The engine was really fun to assemble, and I actually find making the ignition harness to be somewhat relaxing to make.

Ernest

Quoted Text

Will be following along on this one . Already built the birdcage version and it is an AWESOME kit ! I also have this kit in the stash as well with more resin and PE plus extras as well .

Nice job on the power plant so far and looking forward on the weathering . Which ever way you choose on the wings you will have are full attention

Terri

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 07:56 PM UTC
Hi all, I have completed the cockpit and will make a few posts describing what I did along with the photos. I took a lot of pictures, but a good portion of them did not make the final cut. I am continuing to try out new methods with my macro lens, and some of the things I try do not turn out very well; so I lost most of the final shots of the cockpit before I buttoned up the fuselage - live and learn!

The shot below shows the parts with the basic painting of interior green, black and aluminum complete. I airbrushed black primer first so that when I sprayed the interior green, from a top down angle it gives the parts a bit more "pop". It turned out well enough that I did not use a wash. I tried to airbrush Vallejo Model Air Interior Green, but I just can't get that particular brand of paint to spray well. I ditched the attempt and mixed my own interior green using Tamiya's XF-4 (which is a good approximation of zinc chromate yellow) and XF-58 Olive Green. The results are below.

IMG_0787 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0794 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Instrument Panel and consoles after painting decaling

IMG_0792 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Close up of the IP. I did not have any US instrument decals so I used some Luftwaffe ones I had - wrong, but unless someone is going to look at the model with a macro lens it is not obvious.

IMG_0795 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Left side Console.

IMG_0799 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Small bit of super detailing on the O2 regulator. I added a protection bracket, the oxygen hose (made out of .020 rod) and the O2 line which will connect to the oxygen bottle.

IMG_0798 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Close up of the seat with HGW's seatbelt.

IMG_0801 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Finally, some copper wire masquerading as control rods - they will attach to the throttle control unit.
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 - 08:00 PM UTC
Some photos of the finished cockpit. It is hard to tell but I moderately weathered it. I also ran a bunch of electrical and hydraulic lines that you can not see in the completed cockpit.

IMG_0817 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
View from above.

IMG_0819 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Right side console 1.

IMG_0820 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Right side console 2.

IMG_0821 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Right side console 3.

IMG_0822 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
O2 connection

IMG_0818 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Left side console 1.

IMG_0823 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Left console 2 and the seat.

IMG_0827 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
IP

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 04:58 AM UTC
Ernest , you did a really nice job on the pit with the added detail . Nice idea with the place cards . I have done it before

Looking forward on your next up date .

Terri
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2018 - 10:37 AM UTC
Thank you Terri. I tried out HGW Wet Transfers and found them to be a bit of a hit and miss for the small placards. I could not get the covering foil to pull up with either damage or pulling the decal off, so I decided to just airbrush a flat coat over the work. Fortunately it turned out fine. I am now a bit hesitant to use them for the aircraft stenciling and markings, but maybe the larger ones will work better - keeping my fingers crossed at least.

Ernest
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 12:52 AM UTC
Work has continued apace on the build. I have finished most of the center section of the wing. I decided to show the kit with folded wings. This means the painting will be a bit more involved and I'll have to carefully think through the stages to both maximize efficiency in painting and to ensure I paint in an order that allows me to get to everything. Below are some photos of the progress.

IMG_0828 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
The bottom of the center wing section. Here you can see what I mean by having to think through the order of painting.

IMG_0829 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
A close up of one of the wheel bays about 2/3 finished. I hemmed and hawed about whether to add the hydraulic lines and decided not to given that the model will probably never be picked up by anyone to look at the bottom.
IMG_0831 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Front section of a completed wheel bay. There is still time to add some bits and bobs and I am trying to block out the AMS in me to do so!

IMG_0835 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Overall shot of the starboard inner wing section showing the wing fold detail. I will be adding hydraulic and electrical lines, that is what the holes are drilled to accept. I should have waited until I had everything assembled to paint the zinc chromate yellow. Screw up on my part.

IMG_0837 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
A closer look at the wing fold details.

IMG_0836 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Finally, a close up shot of what is probably the hydraulic actuator (I'm not a corsair expert). You can see one of several holes I drilled in it to take different hydraulic lines.

Ernest
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 06:20 PM UTC
Nice progress Ernest . When I built my it was four months and most of that time was spent doing painting the parts . Assembly was fast and easy . Nice call on folding the wings , she will look good .
Looking forward on your next up-date .

Terri
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 09:22 PM UTC
Hi Terri, painting looks like it will be complex on this build. Assembly is very relaxing; and I am enjoying it a great deal. I plan to build the "birdcage" version in the not too distant future. I'm going to work on the "plumbing" for the inner portion of the wing folds tonight. That should keep my brain engaged.

Ernest

Quoted Text

Nice progress Ernest . When I built my it was four months and most of that time was spent doing painting the parts . Assembly was fast and easy . Nice call on folding the wings , she will look good .
Looking forward on your next up-date .

Terri

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 05:07 AM UTC
Ernest,
My apologies for just finding your build blog sooner. I'm a big time Corsair fan, and the fact that you're building the Tamiya 1/32 scale kit just makes the build that much better.

Excellent job on the engine. The Cockpit looks great as Tamiya stock pit is simply outstanding. As for using those Luftwaffe instrument decals, your secret is safe with us.

I did notice that many of your close ups with the Macro lens, your DOF is a little to shallow. I've also face those issues, and in preview what seems enough, usually isn't. So I'm making a concerted effort to stop down to max if possible for the greatest DOF.

Joel

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 11:32 AM UTC
Hi Joel, glad to have you along for the ride. I can always use your advice and feedback on both building techniques and taking macro photos.

The DOF issue you noted is due to pure laziness on my part. I shoot a lot of photos with a Canon EOS Rebel T6 with their EFS 60mm Macro lens, which is a very good lens. As you know, to get the best out of a macro lens one should shot in manual mode stopped down to the smallest aperture with long exposure times under good lighting.

When I photograph my finished models I setup all my photo bling and do it right; but that takes a while (Again, I'll bet you already know all this!) For projects under construction I am just too lazy to do all that prep and engage "macro mode" on the camera, put down a neutral background, try to get some good lighting on the subject and shoot away. As you astutely noted, that does not lead to perfect macro shots, but I think it hits the sweet spot of showing what I am doing - or in many cases trying to do - while maximizing the time I can spend working on the build. Lazy I know!

Ernest

Quoted Text

Ernest,
My apologies for just finding your build blog sooner. I'm a big time Corsair fan, and the fact that you're building the Tamiya 1/32 scale kit just makes the build that much better.

Excellent job on the engine. The Cockpit looks great as Tamiya stock pit is simply outstanding. As for using those Luftwaffe instrument decals, your secret is safe with us.

I did notice that many of your close ups with the Macro lens, your DOF is a little to shallow. I've also face those issues, and in preview what seems enough, usually isn't. So I'm making a concerted effort to stop down to max if possible for the greatest DOF.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 07:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel, glad to have you along for the ride. I can always use your advice and feedback on both building techniques and taking macro photos.

The DOF issue you noted is due to pure laziness on my part. I shoot a lot of photos with a Canon EOS Rebel T6 with their EFS 60mm Macro lens, which is a very good lens. As you know, to get the best out of a macro lens one should shot in manual mode stopped down to the smallest aperture with long exposure times under good lighting.

When I photograph my finished models I setup all my photo bling and do it right; but that takes a while (Again, I'll bet you already know all this!) For projects under construction I am just too lazy to do all that prep and engage "macro mode" on the camera, put down a neutral background, try to get some good lighting on the subject and shoot away. As you astutely noted, that does not lead to perfect macro shots, but I think it hits the sweet spot of showing what I am doing - or in many cases trying to do - while maximizing the time I can spend working on the build. Lazy I know!

Ernest

Quoted Text

Ernest,

Joel

Ernest,
No one is lazier then me when it comes to grab pictures. I keep my Nikon D7100 with the 100mm Macro on the ready. For lighting it's usually my two work lamps, and the popup flash set to EV-.7 just for fill light as getting my dedicated flash out and ready is always to much of a bother. And half the time I'm hand holding rather then grabbing my tripod which is maybe 10 ft from me.

Joel
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 11:12 AM UTC
Sounds just like me Joel. I hand hold nearly all the shots I take of a build in progress.

Ernest

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ernest

Quoted Text

Ernest,

Joel

Ernest,
No one is lazier then me when it comes to grab pictures. I keep my Nikon D7100 with the 100mm Macro on the ready. For lighting it's usually my two work lamps, and the popup flash set to EV-.7 just for fill light as getting my dedicated flash out and ready is always to much of a bother. And half the time I'm hand holding rather then grabbing my tripod which is maybe 10 ft from me.

Joel

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 - 10:09 PM UTC
Its been awhile since my last post, but I have made a lot of progress on the build. I was just too lazy to upload the "in progress shots I took. Following are some photos of where I am with this build, which is nearly finished.

These are a series of photos showing the basic priming and painting of the wings and fuselage. I am going to weather this aircraft a good deal more than I normally do and the pictures show some of the prep such as a dark base (hard to see) to help give the subsequent fading some pop, silver on top of that as a prep for some hair spray chipping, and finally the coat of base colors. Most of the photos were taken right after spraying before I buffed the surfaces smooth so they look a bit grainy in the photos.

IMG_0840 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0841 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0841 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0845 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
I used the hairspray method for the initial chipping; this will be supplemented by some silver pen chipping later on.

More to follow.

Ernest

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 - 10:15 PM UTC
This next series has some shots showing the progress after initial and follow up fading. The black base gives more depth to the subject once fading is added. I did not get thing perfect here, but it looks display worthy. It was a long and involved journey with the weathering on this build.

IMG_0846 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Lower wings after fading

IMG_0847 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
And the upper wings, the fading does not show up well under the harsh lighting.

IMG_0848 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Front portion of the fuselage after fading. The transition down the sides is always challenging for me to bring off. It is not perfect, but again display worthy.

IMG_0852 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
The bottom of the aircraft. The black base effect always shows up better on light top colors. I have also just started doing some weathering.

IMG_0853 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Close up of one of the undercarriage bays with weathering underway.

Ernest
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 - 10:21 PM UTC
Next up a some shots of the very nearly completed weathering.

IMG_0849 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
After additional silver pen chipping and fading.

IMG_0851 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Another close up of the completed topside fading.

IMG_0859 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Weathering finished on the engine.

IMG_0860 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Close up of some of the chipping on the leading edge of the wing. I also attempted to fade the upper color into the lower one. The chipping is a combination of the hairspray technique and a silver pen.

IMG_0861 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Some scratchbuilt electric and hydraulic lines.

IMG_0864 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Painting and weathering complete on the wing fold area.

IMG_0896 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Weathered Cowling and engine detail

IMG_0908 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
One of the wheel wells after weathering is complete.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 - 11:48 PM UTC
Ernest,
Absolutely great progress especially for a 1/32 scale build. Black basing really adds that extra depth to the base color coats. I've always shied away from paint chipping for some reason. Yours really not only looks good, but is giving me the confidence to try it out on my next prop build.

I'm really impressed with the detailing in the wing folds. Adds a lot to the build's presentation.

Joel
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 01:38 AM UTC
Thank you for the very kind comments Joel and everyone else. I have completed the Corsair and base. Below are some photos of the finished model. I am guessing that it is also appropriate to post some photos in the finished model section also.

The photos were taken using my photo tent setup. The subtle shading shows up a bit better under diffused lighting. I made a very simple frame for the base, which turned out fairly well.

I'll start with a few medium distance shots.

IMG_0923 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0922 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0921 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0920 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0919 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

A bit closer.

IMG_0918 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0917 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0915 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0909 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

And some close ups to finish.

IMG_0908 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0906 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0902 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0899 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0896 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr

IMG_0894 by Ernest Roth, on Flickr
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 06:24 PM UTC
Ernest,
A very well done 1/32 scale Corsair F4U-1A. Rock solid build and camo paint scheme. Weathering really kicks it up a few notches as it's most realistic, and not overly done by any means. Same for the base. Simple, yet does the job quite nicely.

Joel
69mudbone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2018 - 07:18 PM UTC
Ernest. Outstanding build
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 12:16 AM UTC
Well , what can I say Ernest other then I tip my hat on a job well done . Your weathering is perfect , not over done at all , but just right

Terri
 _GOTOTOP