Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 01:36 PM UTC
I am building the Revell Heinkel He 162 and I have painted on all of the markings, including the unit badge. Rather than re-post here this is a link to the build on the Bulldogs page (IPMS KitMaker UK).
While you are there consider joining us. You already posses one of the criteria to join, you are a member of KitMaker. The other criteria is that you are a member of the IPMS.

We are also looking to start anotherbranch, IPMS KitMaker Scotland. So if you are are Scottish, or live in Scotland we would be honoured if you would look to sign up to that
He 162 Bulldogs

rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2018 - 10:34 PM UTC
Mal,

Another great example of painted markings, just look at that wolfs head, amazing!

Cheers
Pedro
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 - 03:15 AM UTC
Mal,
A most impressive set of stencil markings. Clean, neat, and not a drop of overspray or leaking under a mask.

Joel
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 - 03:28 AM UTC
Awesome work Mal! I have this kit in the Stash will you be producing masks for it commercially? Or is this a test bed for your techniques for cutting masks?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another great example of painted markings, just look at that wolfs head, amazing!

Cheers
Pedro

Thanks Pedro, the wolfs head is actually very easy and I even have a mask for the 53 Geschwade 3 planes on a cross on a shield badge, which is 5 colours I need to find a model on which to use that

Quoted Text

Mal,
A most impressive set of stencil markings. Clean, neat, and not a drop of overspray or leaking under a mask.

Joel

Thanks Joel. With my set up the cut will always be precise. When applying paint it is not flooded on but built up slowly in many layers, especially yellow, so there is actually no chance of it getting under the mask, as long as the mask is properly in position

Quoted Text

Awesome work Mal! I have this kit in the Stash will you be producing masks for it commercially? Or is this a test bed for your techniques for cutting masks?

Thanks Chris, I have actually given up producing paint masks to order but I am happy to cut masks that I have on file and possibly draw some new stuff if it doesn't cause me too much grief, or I like the idea of having the item on file, such as other Geshwade markings I do try and push the boundaries of paint masks (see my AVG Flying tiger!) this was something that I did to show simple masking with even something like the Wolf, and to encourage modellers to give masks a go
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:06 AM UTC
I knew you'd given up doing custom masks Mal I can appreciate the headaches it must have caused. I'm sold on them for doing markings on large birds the Eagle on my 1/24th Fw190 you produced was just stunning. And it was well out of my comfort zone when I first used them. It was trying to find stencils in 1/24th that actually stopped the build in the end. I'll send you a PM when I finally come to build it to see how you're placed.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 - 01:03 PM UTC
Yep I plan on using the eagle on my 1/24 Fw190 That won't be for quite some time as I have so many models on the go! I started the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane so that I could paint it in Games Nicholson's markings with the new found artwork of a devil thumbing his nose. Gleaned from James Nicholson's Nephew, by Steve Bud (of Airfix pre-production 1/24 Typhoon "fame" ) Seen here on my Airfix 1/48 scale model:

I am still working on the Wespe for the 1/32 scale Bf110!
 _GOTOTOP