Spitfire differences?
ThomasB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hi guys.

Just wondering what the general differences are between Spitfire MkV,VIII and IX. I have kits of all the three versions at home, and so far the only difference I have spotted this far is that the MkV has six exhaust pipes, whilst the Mk VIII and IX have twelve. And between the MkVIII and IX I have found no differences what so ever.

But I'm guessing that some Spitfire fan out there can set me straight.

And one last question, also about Spitfires, is there any models of the PR.MkXIX out there?
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 02:39 AM UTC
Well, some obvious differences between the Mk V and Mk IX are with the IX there are two large under wing radiators instead of one large and a small oil-cooler on the V. Plus the IX has a four blade prop due to the more powerful engine, and the nose forward of the firewall is longer. Between the VIII and IX the differences are more subtle. The IX was intended to be an interim model based on the Mk V airframe until the VIII was ready. The most obvious change with the VIII was the retracting tail-wheel, they also used a differently shaped rudder (more pointed at the top and wider chord), although this type could be found on other versions as well.
Stormbringer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi there
I think you will find that the mkVIII spitfire was also the first of the Griffon engined versions while the MKIX still had a Merlin fitted.
As for the mkXIX either MPM or Smer did one in 1:72 scale,the mouldind isn't brilliant but you do get a vacform canopy and a small pe detail set in the kit.
HTH
Pete

Ps I've just looked on the Hannants website and it's no longer listed,Maybe a look at Ebay is required.
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you will find that the mkVIII spitfire was also the first of the Griffon engined versions while the MKIX still had a Merlin fitted.

Sorry, I have to contradict you on that point. The prototype Griffon Spit was known as the Mk IV, while the first operational Griffon powered Spitfires were the Mk XII followed by the MK XIV.
Stormbringer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hi Geoff
It looks as though in a way we are both correct.According to Jeffrey Quills book "Spitfire" 6 mk VIII's were converted to take Griffon61 engines and were known as the Mk VIIIg. This was what I was thinking of when I replied above.
Regards
Pete :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 09:31 AM UTC
:-) Just a few other points to note, later Mk IXs also had the broad cord rudder, of the Mk VIII. The Mk VIII/IX had 2 stage super charged engines, making them longer than the Mk V. There were also different engine configurations, with engines chosen to give their optimum output at different altitudes. Wing Armament also went through some changes, as did wing shape. This was coupled with the type of engine. Spitfire Cockpits hardly changed throughout it's life. If you are looking for a one stop reference, for the spitfire, I would recomend the Modellers Data File No. 3 Supermarine Spitfire (Part 1 Merlin Engine) by SAM Publications. :-)
Remember, "you just can't have to many Spitfires" :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP