Hosted by Rowan Baylis
F4U-1D Corsair cockpit color question
n_tuma749
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 12:10 AM UTC
Tamiya’s new 1/32 F4U-1D Corsair just came out, and I have couple questions.

Corsairs with the underwing mounts for rocket projectiles (as represented in the kit) began to be accepted in October 1944 at Vought and in November 1944 at Goodyear. The flap step (also in the kit) was introduced in February 1945 at both manufacturers.

I know that in October 1944, new Navy painting instructions called for the cockpit sidewalls of the Corsair to be painted flat black above the side consoles. Goodyear begin this practice “late,” in April 1945. As I plan to build “White 183,” a Vought-built F4U-1D, my two questions are as follows:

1. Is there any evidence that Vought ever followed the Navy painting instructions? Did they start them “on time” or “late?”

2. If they did, what happened to the rear armor behind the pilot? Was it left interior green? Was it painted black only down to the level of the top of the side consoles, or all the way down to the bottom of the fuselage?

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:02 AM UTC
Nicholas,
the best I can think of is that White 183 1st went into service during April 1945, so it was most likely coming down the assembly line in Feb or March of 1945. I would expect that by that time Vought was adhering to the gov't specs.

Since the black was only applied above the side consoles as an anti glare measure, the rear armor plate would have remained Interior Green. But there are other issues starting with the engine cowl. As per standard practice the interior color was the same as the cockpit so they were painted Interior Green, but from what I've read the last war color spec call out was for flat Black!! Also the wheel wells should also be Interior Green not white.

Also as you pointed out the step should be removed for early
-1Ds.

Joel

rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nicholas,
the best I can think of is that White 183 1st went into service during April 1945, so it was most likely coming down the assembly line in Feb or March of 1945. I would expect that by that time Vought was adhering to the gov't specs.

Since the black was only applied above the side consoles as an anti glare measure, the rear armor plate would have remained Interior Green. But there are other issues starting with the engine cowl. As per standard practice the interior color was the same as the cockpit so they were painted Interior Green, but from what I've read the last war color spec call out was for flat Black!! Also the wheel wells should also be Interior Green not white.

-1Ds.

Joel

I'm impressed ! And I thought you were only a Grumman guru ! Gotta keep you in mind for any future USA builds .
Richard
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 04:35 AM UTC
Pretty sure that the flap without the step is still in the kit.

Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nicholas,

-1Ds.

Joel

I'm impressed ! And I thought you were only a Grumman guru ! Gotta keep you in mind for any future USA builds .
Richard

Richard,
Not a guru by any means, but thanks so much for the compliment. I do a lot about my interests in WWII.

Joel
Removed by original poster on 12/11/17 - 00:54:08 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/11/17 - 00:54:56 (GMT).
n_tuma749
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 05:55 AM UTC
"White 183," per the kit, has the distinctive yellow cowling marking of aircraft that participated in the raids on the Tokyo area in mid-February 1945. I would assume it would have been issued to the USS Bunker Hill some time before that, perhaps in January 1944 or earlier. Marine Corps ace Dean Caswell is noted as being a prolific user of this particular aircraft from February 1945 to April 1945.

I'll take your suggestion on the cockpit color to mix it up a little, as I don't know the bureau number of the actual aircraft, or know if the one Tamiya provides is correct, although they probably know something I don't.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"White 183," per the kit, has the distinctive yellow cowling marking of aircraft that participated in the raids on the Tokyo area in mid-February 1945. I would assume it would have been issued to the USS Bunker Hill some time before that, perhaps in January 1944 or earlier. Marine Corps ace Dean Caswell is noted as being a prolific user of this particular aircraft from February 1945 to April 1945.

I'll take your suggestion on the cockpit color to mix it up a little, as I don't know the bureau number of the actual aircraft, or know if the one Tamiya provides is correct, although they probably know something I don't.

Nicholas,
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I'd still go with my color recommendations as they originally came from Dana Bell.

As for Tamiya calling out wrong colors, it's not unheard of, but doesn't happen all that often. You could email Tamiya and hopefully they could provide you with additional information.

Joel
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 06:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nicholas,
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination. But I'd still go with my color recommendations as they originally came from Dana Bell.

Joel

The man who literally wrote the book.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2017 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nicholas,

Joel

The man who literally wrote the book.

Matt,
Ain't that the truth. Dana's a wealth of information both published and online. He's answered everyone of my emails and pm's over the years. If ever there was a class Act, he is.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP