_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
News
Tamiya: Tamiya Lacquer Paint
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 21, 2017 - 11:12 PM UTC

Michal Sindera has sent us exciting news of a new range of Tamiya paints due for release next month.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 12:06 AM UTC
Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but by thinning their current Acrylic range with their lacquer thinner doesn't this effectively turn them into a lacquer paint? The same with Gunze?
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 01:14 AM UTC
Wouldn't it be more prudent to expand the colour range of the existing stuff? I'd use Tamiya exclusively if they had the depth of palette that others have.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 - 07:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wouldn't it be more prudent to expand the colour range of the existing stuff? I'd use Tamiya exclusively if they had the depth of palette that others have.

I agree, theres too many brands and not enough colors
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Monday, October 23, 2017 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but by thinning their current Acrylic range with their lacquer thinner doesn't this effectively turn them into a lacquer paint? The same with Gunze?

No, I don't think so. I suspect (and hope) these are more like Gunze's Mr. Color line, which provides a super hard, smooth coat finish when used with Gunze Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. Mr. Color are easily the finest paints I've ever used for model finishing. The Mr. Color pigments are dense pigmented and a jar will go a long way when mixed with the leveling thinner. If so, these new lacquers would fill a gap here in the US, as Mr. Color is very difficult to find, since Gunze doesn't publish the safety data on the label in English, making it difficult to import and transport. If Tamiya fills that gap, these will be very useful indeed. I suspect they will add additional colors later. AK may be doing the same thing with thier new line as well-- I gues we'll see.
VR, Russ
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 05:09 AM UTC
Tamiya Lacquers!! Oh my and it's not the holiday season quite yet. I'm in for the full range as my new go to paints. I suspect that the full color line up will be basically what's available in their acrylic line. I'm quite use to mixing, so while I'd prefer a full range of colors, I'd gladly settle for the same color pallet.
 _GOTOTOP