_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
Airfix: New-Tool P-51D Ready For Action
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2017 - 11:40 PM UTC

Airfix have announced that their new-tool P-51D is now in stock and should be hitting the shelves in model shops imminently.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 - 05:49 AM UTC
Jersey Jerk! I hope airfix has decent decals because these are the blue diamond mustang markings Ive been wanting for.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jersey Jerk! I hope airfix has decent decals because these are the blue diamond mustang markings Ive been wanting for.

Hi Mike

The Airfix decals I've seen recently have been good, but the national insignia on the built-up test shot of the Mustang here are far too bright. Hopefully the decals actually shipped with the kit will be different...

All the best

Rowan
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 - 12:55 PM UTC
It's gonna be a year in the saddle. Here we have an Airfix 1/48 kit. Revell's 1/32 is just behind the corner and Eduard's again 1/48 will join the herd a bit later in 2018. All we need are the brand new 72nd and 24th kits.

Do we know anything about other boxings of the Airfix kit? I'm just wondering about Mustang IV (or D/K) and thier specific characteristics. BTW Yahu Models for sure produces the small PE fret with the louvers typical for the "K" version so all we need is just the Dallas style canopy (maybe Sqquadron, Pavla or Rob-Taurus makes them, I don't know yet) and different propeller blades (no idea about aftermarket replacement).
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, October 20, 2017 - 09:21 PM UTC

Actually the real insignas faded to quite light: It is models that usually had too dark stars and bars... The overly heavy weathering on the model makes them stand out worse .

To me the windscreen looks a tad wide (like the Tamiya): I hope someone compares it to a Meng, which is dead on.

The open canopy sit is absurd, hopefully fixable... What was the builder thinking...

It would be hard to significantly outdo the Meng.

Gaston

SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 06:18 AM UTC
Horses for courses Gaston. Some people will shy away from the Meng kit due to its glue free construction. The insignia does look odd on this pre-production test shot. Oh well, it's shouldn't be a deal breaker for those of us who have large stocks of decals. I love the two schemes included here. Neither of them are what you would call usual P-51 kit fare.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 22, 2017 - 10:50 AM UTC
I like it and will be picking one up at Telford next month, along with their Walrus and the new Revell 1/32 P-51.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 05:37 AM UTC
I'm in for at least one. Still on the fence about buying the Eduard Brassin cockpit for it, and i'm leaning towards AM decals. Got a few Academy/Accurate Miniature's P-51Bs in the stash as well.
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 05:25 PM UTC
I was expecting it to have the early tail insert included in the box but that does not appear to be an option, so I'll probably pass. I have 5 other late block P-51D's in the stash so don't need a 6th without the early tail.

It looks like a very nice kit overall, similar to Meng's in engineering which is smart. I'm just bummed they didn't include the parts for other versions the same way they did with the new Hurricane Mk.I and Spitfire Mk.Vb.

I'm hoping another Airfix boxing comes out that does have the tail option, I'll definitely grab that one.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 - 06:30 AM UTC
Just order one and some etch for it . Will be my first Airfix kit , kinda excited about it . Was going to get the Eduards resin pit and prop but Hannant's was sold out so I can maybe see another one in the future ....

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 04:02 AM UTC
I just couldn't help myself and caved into the force . I ordered the resin cockpit , cuffed prop and wheels from Eduards site yesterday . Wonder if these will work with other manufactures as well ....like the meng kit ...

Terri
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 - 09:00 PM UTC
Hi again

I picked up Airfix's new Mustang on the way home from work today. First impressions are pretty encouraging - it's nice and cleanly moulded with some good detail and, thankfully, the garish blue of the national insignia in the test-shot build has been replaced on the actual production decals.

On the downside, there are some annoying ejection pin marks in visible places, and the moulded-on seat harness won't be to everyone's taste.

It's good value at a shade over £20 (probably cheaper if you shop around) - I imagine Airfix will be selling them as fast as they can unpack them at Telford!

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 06:00 AM UTC
Online pictures don't give one that true feeling of a kit until that kit is in ones hand. Today was that day , post person dropped it off today . This is my first Airfix kit and I'm impressed with it . Finding it better then Meng's kit .

Terri
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 - 11:49 AM UTC
There were shed loads on sale at Telford, I got the last one at Wonderland models, on Saturday morning. Hannants still had loads left but they were selling fast

I had a chance to actually look at it on the Monday and I am well impressed

Although not ready for Telford the Revell 1/32 scale kit of the P-51 looks very good. There were sprus of a pre-production sample and a built up kit, in one of the kit options, "LOU IV". This even had the often forgotten about artwork on the starboard nose. Overall it looked very good
 _GOTOTOP