Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 07:15 AM UTC
:-) The greatest aeroplane ever built is 68 years old today (it's also my mums birthday). Here's some pics in celebration

Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1a

Supermarine Spitfire Mk V Trop

Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk XIVe

Supermarine Spitfire F 22

Anybody else want to join in with a pic or 2 of their Spitfire models :-)
Like I said, "you just can't have to many Spitfires" :-)
Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 08:09 AM UTC
Please send my birthday wishes to your fine collection of Spits, it is a beautiful plane to look at on the ground and in the air, birthday wishes to your mum too, are those Tamiya, Hasegawa or some other make? Wingman out.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 08:14 AM UTC
Thanks Holdfast,

I always enjoy seeing your spits; it is nice to see a subject that someone cares so much about.

Leon
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 10:16 AM UTC
The only two of mine worth seeing are the Seafire47 and Spiteful ( sort of spitfire?), but they won't hold a candle to Mal's. ( Plus I can't seem to get my images into posts!)

Happy Birthday to the most beautiful form ever made in metal.
Scunge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:17 AM UTC
Best airplane ever built ehh...... I hapen to like the p-40. Not the greatest but for my money, one of the coolist planes to ever fly. That and the butcher bird. Happy B-day to you mom and the spit, a great plane indeed!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:51 AM UTC
Happy Birthday to your Mother.
DRAGONSLAIN
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 779 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:51 AM UTC
WOW!!!! It is like today is everyone's birthday, in school I saw at least 5 people who's birthday is today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EVERYONE!!!!
Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 02:08 PM UTC
Happy Birthday!!!
This was my first Spit...and my first kit, built 8 years ago...

And this is my last one! What a diference!!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hi there

Beautiful collections of Spits!

Bus, that is a stunning difference... those 8 years have been well spent! :-)

Mal, Happy Birthday to your Mum... a day late now, but it's the thought that counts.

All the best

Rowan
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 10:08 PM UTC
Happy birthday to Spits and Holdfast's Mum.

Agreat collection of little beauty's
I can only repeat that if the RAF in WW2 had had as many Spits as Holdfast, the war would have ended a lot sooner.... :-)

Congrats to a wonderful collection.
Cheers
Peter
:-)
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 11:57 PM UTC
Wow! Good work! Love it! Happy birthday!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:46 AM UTC
A vast improvement, Bus, nice to see :-)
Mal
Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 07:02 AM UTC
Thanks!
Yeah...8 years in the hobby...looks like yesterday!
mlb63
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 355 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 11:12 AM UTC
Holdfast those are Spit's are incredible.however the one i like the best is the Mk V tropical.by the way my dad used to work at Rolls Royce Hilligton in Glasgow making merlins before he was conscripted.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hi again

Just to give Mal an excuse to post pics of Spits two days running... my refs seem equally divided on whether the prototype flew on the 5th or 6th of March - either way, it's not as good as a Hurricane... OOOPS!! I mean It's still the the best pane ever!!

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 07:03 AM UTC
Yep Rocket, it's strange that there are no actual records. You are correct though and the actual date could have been the 5th or the 6th. I go with the 5th because it's my mums birthday :-)

Quoted Text

Holdfast those are Spit's are incredible.however the one i like the best is the Mk V tropical.by the way my dad used to work at Rolls Royce Hilligton in Glasgow making merlins before he was conscripted. mlb63

You don't happen to have any spare Merlins lying around, that could use a good home, do you?
Mal
Longshanks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 07:38 AM UTC
Happy Birthday to the greacious* girl of the skies!

War bird and war time icon...............

*(sp)
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 04:01 PM UTC
Well, here's my Spitfire XIVc decked up in D-Day colors. Made this ages ago...Hope y'all like it..

Cheers,
BP.

PS: Oh yes, and a belated Happy B'day to your mum, Mal!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:44 AM UTC
:-) Nice Mk XIV BP , I have this one too :-)
Mal
Scunge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again

Just to give Mal an excuse to post pics of Spits two days running... my refs seem equally divided on whether the prototype flew on the 5th or 6th of March - either way, it's not as good as a Hurricane... OOOPS!! I mean It's still the the best pane ever!!

All the best

Rowan

Well you know the Hurri DID kill more planes in the BoB. :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well you know the Hurri DID kill more planes in the BoB Scunge

Correct, and there were a hell of a lot more Hurri's than Spitfires. But this isn't the Hurricanes Birthday :-)
Mal
RAF-Mad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2004 - 07:28 PM UTC
Nice modls guys, i have to say the spitfire is like an idol to me (me being from britain). Its just somthing about it that makes it look like such an elegant plane. #:-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hi RAF-Mad, welcome to Armorama
My sentiments exactly, remember, "you just cant have to many Spitfires"
Mal
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 12:24 PM UTC
Howdy Holdfast,

First, a very Happy Birthday to your Mum! I don't doubt for a second she's proud of you, as we are here at Armorama!!

Second, before I say HB to the glorious old lass, the Spitfire. I've got a very special Spitfire 'story' I'd like to share. In fact, I haven't told this story to more than 4 or 5 people since it happened. But I'll share it with you guys. It may not seem that significant now, but to me at the time it was a thrill.
Here's my ditty:
When I was a young lad, and fairly new to this country. I lived in a town called Kearny, N.J. Which wasn't that far from Washington D.C. Anyway, I was quite the hellion and a budding adventurer. All my life I had been brought up to appreciate Military History by my 'Da'. And since I was born in Great Britian, the 'Battle of Britian' favoured very highly in my personal appreciation of my own people's struggle against all odd's fighting Hitler's onslaught against my island.
So, being the 'sparkplug' that I was, I had a close friend who was of similar personality. We decided one day to cut school and catch the bus down to the Nation's capitol and 'see what we could see'. Now, being the aviation aficiaondo's that we were, the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum was one of the first things on our list. We had brought my camera along (I was one of the contributing photographer's on the school paper) to take pictures of all the monument's and famous structures.
Well, we entered the museum and began looking at ALL the most amazing things you could imagine (I won't go into the details here, because you all kinda know what's there).
Anyway, we finally entered the 'Battle of Britian' display room, where they had several aircraft, including both an ME-109, and a Spitfire, both behind velvet ropes, and with open cockpit's. Now, since we had decided to 'cut' school on a mid-week day, the museum at the time was almost empty. I was so in love with the Spitfire in those days, that an idea began formulating in my head.............
(the rest of this story is at least half 'confession' ).
At this point I looked around, and saw nobody around. I told my friend Gerry to get ready to take a few pictures really quickly, he said to me "What are you doing?".....I said "Just watch!"
I took one last look around, saw nobody, and jumped over the velvet ropes, quickly and quietly ran over to the Spitfire, lightly jumped up on it's wing (trying not to make too much noise), and proceeded to jump up and slide into the cockpit!! :-) :-)
I said to Gerry in a hussed tone "Quick take some pictures!" Which he did. I think we took around half a dozen or so, a couple with me in the cockpit, plus a couple standing on the wing root, and one finally when I was running back behind the rope.
Nobody ever came out to yell at us or anything, and the entire time I was thinking I was goiing to go to jail or something, but at the time......it felt fantastic!!!
Now...I know some of you will find this story a little irritating, and that I should have had my fanny spanked for it. But ya know what? This is one of those youthful memory 'jewels' that belong to me, and one that I personally enjoy on more levels than I can name here

So, hopefully that story irritated only a few of you, and bored even less.

Oh, and before I forget, A bloody great Happy Birthday! goes out to the fine flying lass who, accompanied by her ever-so-strong brother Merlin, fought back the horde's of the Luftwaffe!!

Tread.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 08:13 AM UTC
Nice one Tread, I'm jealous. My ambition is to fly a Spitfire :-) but i'd have to own one to accomplish that, I would settle for 5 minutes sat in the cockpit :-)
While serving in the Royal Engineers I was posted for a time to Waterbeach, near Cambridge, not far from Duxford. I persuaded my wife and daughter to come with me, once. We had just finished looking around the hall and were heading off across the tarmac to take a look at the Concord, just before turning the corner of a hanger the unmistakeable sound of a Merlin engine roared into life. I headed in it's direction, to find a Spitfire Mk V, with it's engine cowels off having it's engine ground tested. there were no barriers. I looked around to see my wife and daughter still heading over to the Concord, looking further around I saw men coming from all directions, attracted by the sound. Any women that were there were heading anywere but to the sound. Must be a bloke thing :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP