Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Malcolm Or Not ?
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 10:51 AM UTC
Hi Gang,had a little bit of a windfall so I`ve decided to build, in 1/32nd, Bill Overstreet`s P-51 "Berlin Express". I have ordered all the various bits - even going so far as to order the Revell kit to get the decals but I`ve hit an impasse.
I have been Googling to get as much information as possible on the subject but keep running into conflicting information - some pictures show the Mustang with the blown Malcolm hood and some show it with a standard B-Model hood.
Which is true, Please can someone help ?.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 - 01:36 AM UTC
The images with the Malcolm canopy that turn up in Google search appear to all be of a restored warbird.

That being said, it's possible that the aircraft was modified, and therefore just as accurate with either canopy. Build what looks best to you; it's your model.
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 - 06:31 AM UTC
Found this info for the "cage" canopy:

http://www.cebudanderson.com/357profileberlinexpress.htm

I've also seen a pic on the Pyn-up decals sheet with a Malcolm hood. It is possible, as a great many P-51B's did swap out for the Malcolm bubble canopy ("Ding Hao" comes to mind).

Brian Riedel
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 - 12:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies, Think I`ll roll with the Cage canopy as it looks more realistic for a C-Model.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 - 07:02 PM UTC
The first incarnation of "Berlin Express" a P-51C, B6-0 42-103309 in NMF with white wall tyres and D-day stripes, 2 victory symbols a 25 mission bomb symbols.It has a framed hood. The Pilot was Bill Overstreet who, later in August took over Bud Anderson's P-51B "Old Crow", 43-24823 and re-named it Berlin Express and flew it until the end of his tour. The hood is not seen in the photo. This aircraft was later issued to Bill Fricker, coded B6-K, it now has 3 victory symbols and does have the Malcolm hood. Both photos show it wearing a "Spitfire" mirror on the wind screen framing.

The profile in the same book shows Old Crow 43-24823 with a Malcolm hood.

_GOTOTOP