_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Great Britain
Aircraft of Great Britain in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
It's true, You can't have to many Spitfires.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 09:00 AM UTC
:-) Here's my Hasegawa Spitfire Mk Vb.

The undersurface was painted Medium Sea Grey, using Xtracolor paints. The undersides were then masked off using Tamiya masking tape.

The uppersurface camo pattern was then draw on, using an HB pencil. The pattern is slightly different to the normal, on this particular aircraft, the instructions have it pretty close. Ocean grey was then sprayed on, overlapping the pencil marks.

Mal
Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 10:22 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing !!Its very good!!Hope to see it ready!
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 11:09 AM UTC
Are you going to have the edges of the top-side camo be soft?
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 12:42 PM UTC
As usual, looks great Holdfast.

What do you use for your primer?
MEBM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
AeroScale: 61 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 01:50 PM UTC
Very nice. I love a Spitfire. Ummm...say, did you spray your canopy? Thanks for your time.
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 10:30 PM UTC
Another beauty from Holdfast.
No, you cannot have too many Spits.
If the RAF, during WW2, had had as many as Holdfast, the war would have been over a lot sooner :-) :-)

Can't wait to see the top sides in camo.

Cheers
Peter
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:35 AM UTC
Mal I hav to disagree with you on that. Its more like you can't have too many Buc's. Yes, Rowna found one a posted it too me, and couple days ago my wife presented me with my Second Buc!!! But, Spit is coming along well but it looks like you completely covered you preshade though. Hope that was the intension. Maybe redo the grey for a lighter coat. STUG
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 08:40 AM UTC
:-)

Quoted Text

Are you going to have the edges of the top-side camo be soft? Part-timer

The dark green will be sprayed freehand, but with the intention of having a tight pattern, fingers crossed

Quoted Text

What do you use for your primer? newtothegame

I use Halfords (auto store in the UK) White plastic primer.

Quoted Text

Ummm...say, did you spray your canopy? MEBM

Eeer.........yep. not sure what you're getting at, but it was masked with Parafilm-M, sprayed the cockpit interior colour and will get sprayed dark green when this is sprayed on.

Quoted Text

Can't wait to see the top sides in camo. Peter

I will be spraying the dark green this week end I will, of course post pics :-)

Quoted Text

Mal I hav to disagree with you on that. Its more like you can't have too many Buc's. Steve

Well I can't agree, but the Buc' is one interesting bird, I have one started and I have the Neomaga cockpit for it. I'll see about posting some pics, if you like?

Quoted Text

Spit is coming along well but it looks like you completely covered you preshade though. Steve

Well Steve , I don't know about your wife buying you a Buc', maybe she should buy you an eye test Take a closer look, it's there. Must agree though that it dosen't appear to show up that much, particularly on the underside. That, though, is more because of the camera flash. It does bring up an iteresting point. My pre-shading technique does work, the biggest problem is lighting. It requires that I can see when to stop applying paint and, although my method is to apply it very gradually, the time to stop can be gone in an instant. This tends to have the affect of making it hit and miss. This leaves me a couple of options, 1, improve the lighting in my spray booth. No that aint gonna happen anytime soon. So I'm left with 2, think of another way. Which I have done, and will be trying on my Hs 129, soon :-)
Mal
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hi Mal,

Quoted Text

the biggest problem is lighting.

I know you were talking about the lighting in your spray area but...what lighting are you using when taking the shots?
If you are using the built-in flash on the camera, you could wrap a paper tissue or two over the flash window, this will difuse the light and won't burn out as much detail or in this case, pre-shading. Its a tip from an old pro photographer friend of mine. And it helps.

Hope it helps.
Cheers
Peter
kiltman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:03 AM UTC
I noticed in your pictures that the panel lines are painted black before you spray the camo. Could you tell me why, I am thinking it has something to do you scribing/etching the panel lines on the kit. (new to military modeling, car modeler in the past)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I noticed in your pictures that the panel lines are painted black before you spray the camo. Could you tell me why, Mike

Hi Mike,
It's a technique called pre-shading, by it's very nature it works best under light colours. however I am trying to us it under the darker uppersurface colours. I explain in greater detail in my article, To pre-shade or not to pre-shade It does work but it is not easy to get right, my excuse is the light in my spray booth does let me see when I have just the right amount of paint on to give coverage but allows the pre-shading to show through. :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP