_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
ICM: Spitfire Beer Bomber
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 - 10:37 PM UTC

ICM has announced it is creating a new tool Spitfire Mk IXC in 1/48 scalern

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 - 05:41 AM UTC
Ah, the infamous Mk. XXX mod! Did ICM clarify whether the whole kit is the "new tool" or is it just the beer barrel sprue? After all, ICM has had a 1/48 Spitfire in their lineup for about 17 years now, and why would they reinvent the wheel?

This isn't to say that I don't think the ICM Spitfire is the be-all and end-all of 1/48 Spitfires, but I'd hardly expect ICM's bean counters to approve retooling it when they can do a Revell and endlessly re-release it.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 - 04:31 AM UTC
The words new a used a lot in the text and on the box front, so you would hope it was full new sprues.

Tho the claim this is the 1st time the XXX mod has been kitted might be not quite correct. I think Italeri offered a "beer truck" version their kit #2696.

June or July or thereabouts 2014 Aeroplane Monthly provided some info on the XXX in their Spitfire V & IX database article.
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The words new a used a lot in the text and on the box front, so you would hope it was full new sprues.

hmmmm I counted all of one "new" on the box lid and a whole of one "new" in the text

Quoted Text

Tho the claim this is the 1st time the XXX mod has been kitted might be not quite correct.

Where exactly is the claim that this is the first time the XXX has been kitted??? Please point this out to me I cant see it in the text and it certainly is not written on the box
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

hmmmm I counted all of one "new" on the box lid and a whole of one "new" in the text

Quoted Text

Tho the claim this is the 1st time the XXX mod has been kitted might be not quite correct.

Where exactly is the claim that this is the first time the XXX has been kitted??? Please point this out to me I cant see it in the text and it certainly is not written on the box

I know that Eduard's 1/48 Spit IX Royal Class kit has the option (and the beer barrels) for two markings

Cheers
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 03:43 AM UTC
There was another page of ICM text which appears to have vanished.

My apologies if I imagined it.
 _GOTOTOP