_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
Bronco: The Hawk is Coming
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 07:02 AM UTC

Some great news for fans of aircraft flown in Asia during World War 2, a Curtiss Hawk is coming to a shelf near you soon.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
sinistervampire319
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 07:04 AM UTC
Something seems off on this.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 07:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Something seems off on this.

It should-- like all the P-40/P-81 kits to come from China recently, including the 1/32 Trumpeter kit, the cockpit floor is too high-- in the real P-40/P-81s, the cockpit floor was the top of the wing. After all these years you'd think somebody would get it right.
VR, Russ
warmonger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 03:08 PM UTC
I think Airfix finally got the floor right. It's real odvious with the clear side.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 03:23 PM UTC
I'm pretty sure the more talented of our Brethren will produce copious amounts of resin to fix it or perhaps something already manufactured could be made to fit? But I agree that's a honker of a mistake! Did they simply copy Trumpeters CAD drawings what the hell people?
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 06:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm pretty sure the more talented of our Brethren will produce copious amounts of resin to fix it or perhaps something already manufactured could be made to fit? But I agree that's a honker of a mistake! Did they simply copy Trumpeters CAD drawings what the hell people?

Not sure if they copied Trumpeter or not, but I've built Trumpeter's 1/32 scale kit, and to lower the floor it requires a new floor to be made from sheet styrene, along with a new rear bulkhead and seat frame. I used Eduards PE set which provides a new seat and instrument panel along with some sidewall details-- all of this is "compressed" in the Trumpeter kit to fit into thier "shortened" cockpit, and it looks like this kit is no different in 1/48 scale. In this day and age, with lots of info available on line and in museums, how Bronco could make such a mistake is really unforgivable, especially since the Trumpeter kit was heavily criticized for thier boo boo. No doubt why they are tryinging to market this on with a "blood chit" and three crewmen-- which look very nice (is the blood chit in cloth?). But if accuracy is what you're after--the new Airfix kit might be the better option, or be prepared for some scratch work.
VR, Russ
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:33 AM UTC
This will have to be particularly good to beat the Airfix kit!
 _GOTOTOP