Overlord build.
Becky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 70 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 07:50 PM UTC
Hi guys.

I'm thinking of joining the Overlord campaing, but I have no clue of what to build. I mostly do aircrafts in 1/48. But besides that I have no idea of what I could do. And I'm affraid that reference material isn't my strong side. So help on that part would be great as well.
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi Becky,
You'd be most welcome to join the campaign. For 1/48 scale aircraft the most common subjects would be Spitfires, Typhoons and Mustangs. For something a little less common then I suspect that Mosquitos would have been involved, especially as nightfighters keeping the Luftwaffe away from the glider train. Other light/medium bombers - Marauders etc.
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi Becky

Now lets see if I can remember this correctly, aircraft that took part in Overlord included:

Spitfires, Hurricanes? (MkII)(not sure?), Typhoons, Mustangs (P-51D & P-51B), P-38 Lightnings, P-47 Thunderbolt – Fighter / fighter bomber / Close Air support.

Handley-Page Halifax III, Lancaster, B-24 Liberator, B-26 Marauder, B-17 Fortress – Medium / Heavy Bombers.

Beaufighters - Costal Attacks & Night fighters

Mosquito & Spitfire - Reconnaissance (Some flew from Italy). I know the 10th Air Base Wing of the 9th Air Force flew the first reconnaissance mission on D-Day, I think they used B-26s.

Dakota (C-47?) - Transport aircraft

Don’t Forget the Pas-de-Calais and the deception. Almost every other type of Allied aircraft flew there.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi Becky, what have you got in your stash, (do you have a stash?) That might be a good starting point. I have a 1/48 Hasegawa Rocket Typhoon in mine, so that's what I will be doing
Mal
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
Something very cool would be a PIPER CUB !
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 07:40 PM UTC
PS : the cub was realy used for DDay.
there's a 1/48th scale model by hobbycraft... so it's probably far from perfect !

another interesting project : A20 medium bomber.
They were flown by free french soldiers and used to create smoke screens for the coming waves of ships !
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hurricanes? (MkII)(not sure?)

Hey, did Hurris take part in Op Overlord?

I didn't know.. but sure am interested. Have plenty of Academy Hurri Mk IIC kits here at a local store, and the guy's ready to sell 'em out for a song(not really, at 30% discount #:-)).

So would be really ready to take up that one...Anybody has any pics of Hurris doing D-Day duty? Or have seen some decals sheets on this?

Cheers, BP
Longshanks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 02:02 AM UTC
Theres no record on the RAF website that states that, Hurricanes did take part in Overlord.
It just says:

6 Jun 1944 - D-Day. Allied air forces flew a total of 14,674 sorties during the first 24 hours of Operation Overlord for the loss of 113 aircraft, many by friendly fire. Fighter cover for the invasion beaches was provided by nine squadrons of Spitfires, while Typhoon and Mustang fighter-bombers of 2nd TAF flew armed reconnaissance missions further inland. Such was the Allied air supremacy that the Luftwaffe only flew 319 sorties in the same period.

But Hurricanies massed about 60% of the RAF fighter force, so I would imagine they did.............Sorry can't help you more.....
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hi there

Hurricanes certainly did take part in the Invasion - as Air Dispatch Letter Service aircraft.

According to "Aircraft for the Many", by M. Bowyer, the ADLS had two Hurricanes at readiness from June 8th, but flights to France didn't begin until the 10th, when MW340 became the first Allied aircraft to land in France and return to the UK after D-Day.

Hurricanes did actually fly several sorties on June 6th with No. 1449 Flight, defending the Scilly Isles and nearby sea lanes.

I think Dave would have to decide if that's elligible for Overlord 2004.

All the best

Rowan
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 04:27 AM UTC
A fairly loose interpretation, but I would say that defending the sea lanes either side of the invasion force was a necessary part of the invasion. It would be in ok.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 07:05 PM UTC
Here goes another question : I've got a Tempest Mk V early.
It's the Eduard kit.
The paint scheme shows it with the colors of june the 8th when it shot down a Me109G. Still, I don't know if it was used only to intercept intruders over GB or sent over france during DDay.
Do you have an idea ? Would it fit the campaign ?
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 07:07 PM UTC
I'll leave that one to the aircraft experts. Merlin, Mal, Holdfast - help please!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hi penpen

That Tempest is fine; JN751 was flown by Wng Cmd Roland Beaumont and he shot down a Bf109G on June 8th during a beachhead cover patrol. In fact, the same a/c is recorded as having flown 2 sorties on June 6th, so it's absolutely elligible for Overlord 2004. :-)

All the best

Rowan
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 11:50 PM UTC
thanks merlin !
If another kit doesn't jump into my arms next WE, the tempest will be my choice !
 _GOTOTOP