_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
News
ICM: Do 215 Night Fighter
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 01:05 AM UTC

ICM has released CAD images of its upcoming 1/72 scale Dornier 215 B-5 night fighterrn

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 08:10 PM UTC
I love ICM for all the detail they pack in their models.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:18 PM UTC
If the over all fitting is as bad as on their 1/48 kit (out with Revell Germany at the moment), well... then good night ....
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If the over all fitting is as bad as on their 1/48 kit (out with Revell Germany at the moment), well... then good night ....

Hi Torsten

That's a really interesting comment, because the original ICM 1:48 kit which I reviewed fitted together excellently. The same was true of their Ju 88, but I've noted some serious differences there between current mouldings and what I reviewed in 2015.

All the best

Rowan
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

well, this thread is about the 1/72 kit but I have just finished my quarterscale Do 215 and have "experienced" the fitting. I will show it in my assembly line thread in a few days.
The nightfighter nose doesn't fit well to the fuselage without major surgery to the, well, how would you call it, maybe fittting frame of the nose. I had to erase it completly and did several test fittings until I thought it was good enough. Still a bit of sanding had to be done. I've checked other built models of this kit in the www and they all had problems there. Some look worse than mine. Another major fitting problem is the wings to the fuselage. Behind the canopy is a gap which could compete against WW1 trenches. But I managed to fill and sand it well enough. On the lower end between fuselage and wings shows up a step which I carefully sanded down. It's still visible a bit but it's acceptable for me. On the underside there are gaps and steps on both sides of the wings/fuselage area which are not easy to battle against but I did the best I could. As I closed the engine cowlings there are small holes on both rear ends of the covers which looked like a mould fault. Some more filler here and some more careful sanding.
Recently I've build Zvezda's Pe-2 and that fitting was nearly perfect, so Zvezda vs. ICM it's 1:0. And I don't mean that political.
I have also Revell's (ICM) new Ju 88 A-4 (1/48) in my stash so I wonder what surprises I will get with that kit ....

Torsten
 _GOTOTOP