_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Tamiya Beaufighter Build
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 12:07 AM UTC
So I am about to do something I have not done for a long time, build something with wings. So to get back into the practice, I decided to go with the Tamiya Beaufighter Mk.VI.

It looks to be a great looking kit, and should prove to be a nice build.

So starting off, the cockpit. I did find one ejector mark that will make fit a little wobbly, but a little sanding deals with it quickly.

While Tamiya provides decal seatbelts, I decided to use a set of seats from UltraCast which looks very nice.

So painted with Vallejo Interior Green then detailed with Vallejo paints and wash.

While there is a lot of interior detail left out by Tamiya, most of the time it would be difficult to see once closed up.

Up next will be closing it up.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 12:57 AM UTC
Great kit and you're doing a fantastic job of it.

I love Ultracast items - the owners are local to me and great people.
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 01:15 AM UTC
This was my first kit build when I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago. I'll be following for (but not only) nostalgia.
Looking good.

regards.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2017 - 10:45 PM UTC
Nice start Kevin!

It's great to see you building a wingy thing - and the Beaufighter's an excellent choice!

All the best

Rowan
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2017 - 10:40 PM UTC
Kevin, you can't go wrong with the Tamiya Beau. It's a great kit. Done the night fighter in US markings a few years ago. No major problems there beside some sanding. Have fun with it!

Torsten
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 05:56 AM UTC
Things are starting to come along, it has wings now.

Only some minor putty and a little sanding.

No to add some details, wait for Ultracast exhaust and wheels to arrive, then some paint.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 02:42 PM UTC
If I remember correctly Kevin there are some small raised panels on the upper wing that shouldn't be there. I think that they are some sort of repair on the aircraft that was used for measurements etc. However, checking my kit, they are too evenly spaced across both wings (6 of them on each side and you can see 3 of them in the close up on the starboard wing) so they might be strengthening plates. Anyway I am sure that they need removing. They are not in the plans that I have from Richard Caruana.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 06:42 PM UTC
I found the article about the about the Beaufighter, in Quarter Scale Modeller Issue 4/97. It talks about other stuff but this diagram shows the offending lumps to be removed.

Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 10:14 PM UTC
Wow that was some rapid progress!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 - 12:34 AM UTC
Hi Kevin

Nice progress. Mal's scan of the plans also shows the issue with the gun access panels which I told you about more more neatly than I could explain.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 02, 2017 - 12:12 PM UTC
There is actually quite a lot of other stuff but yep the gun access panels and these lumps are the main issues I think.
Kevin, I can try scanning the article if you like? But I will, personally, only be bothered about these 2 issues, which are easy fixes
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:01 AM UTC
Well finally got some paint on it, used the instruction recommended mix for the Azure Blue, Vallejo Middlestone, and 50/50 Mix of Tamiya Earth and Red Brown for the Dark Earth. I do find the Middlestone to be a little yellow, hopefully I can tone is down with a little weathering.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:25 PM UTC
Hi Kevin

Hopefully the colour balance is off in the photo. If not I'd definitely do a repaint over the Vallejo Middle Stone before going much further - it looks way too yellow and I wouldn't rely on weathering to pull it back to something more accurate. I'm traditionally wary of many of Tamiya's colour matches, and the Dark Earth and Azure Blue here are maybe a bit questionable, but that Vallejo "yellow" does look very strange.

All the best

Rowan
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 04:42 PM UTC
From comparing the picture and the model, there is a color balance issue, it is much yellower in the picture.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

From comparing the picture and the model, there is a color balance issue, it is much yellower in the picture.

Hi again Kevin

That's a relief! It almost looks like yellow zinc-chromate on my monitor. Yuk!

I found an interesting page with a good selection of vintage WW2 colour photos of Spitfires which include some useful western desert shots HERE.

The hues tally encouragingly closely with my RAF Museum colour swatches - so you can get a good idea of what to aim for. Beyond the Middle Stone, the Dark Earth wasn't very red (the redder shade ties in better with the US Dupont paints) and you can see how dark Azure Blue was (relatively speaking). It's often shown as a more vibrant colour (almost cornflower blue), but by the time it was weathered a bit, I think the Spit halfway down the page is a good one to go by.

All the best

Rowan
Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 12:45 AM UTC
That is good news regarding the color balance. I was going to jump in about how yellow it was, but fortunately someone with more street cred got in first.
Nothing can be more demoralising than realising all your effort has produced an unsatisfactory result (to your eyes primarily, but also others). I’m amazed at how I can almost convince myself that an unsatisfactory result will be ok if I just do this or that rather than biting the bullet and reworking something.
I look at the Azure blue on my example Beau (which I think I mixed from the Tamiya instructions) and I still think it’s way too purple, but a little purple goes a long way so my mix was probably off.

Happy modelling.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 12:28 PM UTC
Our PC monitors are generally not calibrated, that's why colours often look a bit strange compared to the real thing.
Anyway, on my last DAF Spitfire I have used Gunze Middle Stone, which looked like a big yummy caramell toffee before I added Dark Earth (also Gunze) .... You might try that too, Kevin.

Torsten
jon_a_its
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 04:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found the article about the about the Beaufighter, in Quarter Scale Modeller Issue 4/97. It talks about other stuff but this diagram shows the offending lumps to be removed.

Very Interesting, care to share a bit more of the article?
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 02, 2017 - 07:51 PM UTC
Well here is the beast done, as mentioned, I am not much of an aircraft builder, but I do have fun, and that is what it is all about.

Willard79
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 12:57 AM UTC
Nice work Kevin. Glad you enjoyed your little trip away from armor.
I've got an old Tamiya 8 ton semi-track in the stash I might tackle one day as a bit of change.

All the best.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 03, 2017 - 05:41 AM UTC
That looks really good, you should build planes more often methinks
 _GOTOTOP