_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Info needed on Pave Fire system.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - 03:04 AM UTC
I've just bought Wolfpack decals set 72-040 'Light My Fire' sheet, which features several Vietnam era aircraft.

One of these is a Pave Fire equipped F-4D of the 13TFS based at Udorn, April '71. Now, at the time I clicked 'Buy' I thought this meant the Pave Knife system, of which I have in a Hasegawa set.
Obviously when I get around to building it, I'll need the correct Pave Fire pod to fit to the Phantom's belly.

A google search has only revealed one photo of the aircraft in question and it's not the best quality.
All I can tell is that it was big!
Would be great if anyone has or can point me the direction of some better photo's and any technical information regarding size and details which would help to scratch build one.

Thanks

Stephen

tmeyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 09:24 PM UTC
Hi Phantom Phanatic,

Did my own Google search and came up with the face that it was a laser scanner to aid F-4s in securing proper target bearing.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/lgb.htm. Best I can do for you. Sorry!

Tom
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2017 - 09:53 PM UTC
Thanks.
Link seems to be broken though, get a page with 'error 404'.

It does seem to be shrouded in mystery. Best I can find about it is that it was a low light tv and laser to aid with toss bombing. The idea was to allow the F-4 to release the bombs in a toss attack outside of the range of North Vietnamese flak guns. It proved a failure for various reasons and was ditched soon after combat trials. This appears to be the only F-4 to carry it.

Wolfpack do a have a range of resin weapons and kit, so they might release the pod at some point. If they can find photos and plans that is. I'll keep my eyes open on their website.
 _GOTOTOP