_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A tale of two Messerschmitts
Knuckles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 - 02:23 AM UTC
I like building little planes. 1/72 aircraft are challenging when you want to do the super-detail kits, and can be simple enough for a weekend build. They're cheap, so if you thrash one in the paint booth, it's not a big loss (I have thrashed a'many, and maybe someday I'll master the metal skinned beasts).

So, I haunt eBay and look for deals on an airframe I might not have, or recently sentenced to the bin-of-plastic-purgatory. I recently picked up a pair of Airfix BF 109s. One vintage Emil, and one newer G-6. Both were about $6 each, including shipping.

The G-6 arrived first, followed a day later by the Emil. Each kit was "new in the factory wrapping" and the vintage one rattled...a lot. Upon opening the boxes, the newer kit was in a nice bag, and safe, while the vintage one looks like it spent the first 15 years of its life as ballast on a paint shaker. There's about 6 or 8 parts left on the tree, the prop is busted, and kit canopy is hosed.

The vintage kit (#02048) was tooled back in 1956 and reboxed throughout the 80s. The kit I have here shows a 1983 copyright on the box, and contains 47 pieces. The newer one (#02029) was an initial release of a new tool, and was made in 2009 and has 41 pieces.

The vintage kit is made out of a light blue plastic that looks and sounds awful. The sprues with the one or two parts hanging on them were warped. I fear getting an aggressive solvent glue near this stuff, as it will likely turn to goop as soon as it touches it. The new tooling is presented in a newer, softer plastic in a grey color.

The vintage kit has raised panel lines, and out-of-scale rivet detail. The new kit has recessed panel lines which are again, out of scale. There is no rivet detail, and a marked lack of much detail at all, really. There is NO cockpit--like none. You glue the pilot into his seat, and that's the interior. At least the older kit has a rudimentary one. The pilots themselves, well here we can see the improvements in both plastic and mold quality/detail. The vintage pilot is pretty sad looking, and has a large sink hole through his middle.

The fit between the two looks to be night and day. I didn't clip the 2009 kit off of the sprue, but the edges are sharp and clean. The vintage kit shows some age in the corners of the molds, losing a lot of the sharp detail. A lot of putty would be required to fix this one, and with the raised details, it's a recipe for the bin-of-plastic-purgatory. They retooled this kit for a reason.

The instructions are spartan, as they don't need much detail. There's only a few parts to the build and both sets show assembly easy enough. I found it amusing that both boxes had the ol' Airfix club advert in them.

The decals and paint schemes are a huge improvement in the new offering. The vintage kit features only one aircraft, and very few decals. The newer one has 3 aircraft to choose from, and there are lots of really nice, detailed decals to add to your plane.

We've come a long way in plastic models. Some of the good ol' days are best remembered, and not relived. In this tale of two Messerschmitts, this is surely the case.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, April 03, 2017 - 09:03 AM UTC
In my experience that older Airfix plastic reacts quite nicely to liquid glue. You shouldn't have much in the way of trouble there; it's all saved up for the preparation and fit issues

There's a vac canopy available which can solve your distressed canopy issues. There's also a later style canopy for the F (also used by the E-4/7) which isn't made for the Airfix kit, but which can be made to fit with little difficulty.

By the way, you'll get better results with this thread in the World War II forum, so I'll to move it over there for you.
 _GOTOTOP