_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
James Nicolson VC - 'Red Devil'
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, March 10, 2017 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi folks.

More than once in going on the six decades I've been kicking around, I've been described as 'a frustrated journalist'. Fair comment I guess and as that love of investigation and writing fits well with a passion for uniting bits of plastic, metal and resin, I've decided to kick off a modelling blog. I really dislike the term 'blog'; whoever coined it could've come up with something infinitely loss prosaic, that suggests more a nasal blockage than a personal journal but there we are.

The inaugural article covers a subject that assumed unexpected importance just two short years ago - the revelation that Nick's Hurricane wore a 'Red Devil' artwork when he was shot down on August 16, 1940. You're cordially invited to re-trace those steps and the many twists and turns along the way.

https://badwolfmodelling.com/category/the-battle-of-britain/

TTFN

Steve Budd
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 12:29 AM UTC
Great article about a little known (in this hemisphere anyway) pilot, event, and journey to get the facts straight-- I commend all involved. It's also a great example of how modeling and history intersect, and in fact how a modeler can be a historian as well, or vice-versa. And now to add insult to injury, I'd like to include the old adage that "the devil really is in the details"!
VR, Russ
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 03:37 AM UTC
Wonderful detective work and a very engaging story - thanks so much for sharing this with us , and now , if you will pardon my exit I must go buy another Hurricane kit and some decals ...

Cheers - Richard
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 04:30 AM UTC
Brilliant. That had me engaged right from the outset and the end result is fitting of the respect for the actions of James Nicolson in those dark days of 1940.
It has been decades since I built a Hurricane, but like Richard, this piece will have me hunting down a kit and decals and they will likely jump over many other kits to take place at the head of the build list.

Thanks for sharing, I will be keeping a close eye on your "blog" for future adventures.

As an aside, I have in my possession the centre section of the timber propellor from a Sopwith F1 to suit a 130 Clerget. My grandfather brought this back from the Western Front after WWI. I have only found one reference in his diaries to an aircraft coming down close to him, but I still have 2 more diaries to transcribe. I have the date and the location of the event, and I am working through various Interweb search patterns to try to identify the exact aircraft that came down and possibly model it for a display with the artifact. Your article is further inspiration to keep on the hunt.

Cheers, D
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 11, 2017 - 05:40 AM UTC
Thanks chaps for your kind responses. Jim Nicolson and I both share the view that Nick's exploits have never really attained the general recognition they warrant.

I wish you well with your Nicolson builds - please let me know when they're on the flight line via [email protected] - I'd love to see them.

A great weekend to all!

TTFN

Steve
 _GOTOTOP