_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Western Front/ETO Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 05:05 AM UTC
Welcome to the Western Front/ETO Campaign! The is the second in a series of campaigns that will highlight the different theaters of operations in WWII to remember the 75th anniversary of the war. The CBI Campaign is already underway.

This campaign will run from 1 February through 1 September, 2017.

If you haven't signed up yet, or want to see the rules, go here.

Please post your initial and in-progress photos as well as campaign discussion in this thread. Please post your finished build photos in the campaign gallery.

Looking forward to the builds from the war over NW Europe!

Michael
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:11 AM UTC
Okay, if you insist

Here again is my chosen subject Hasegawas 1/72 fw190A-7 in the kits JG1 markings.
Im pretty excited to finally get to work on one of these. I have a newer eduard A8/R2 as well but I always thought this kit looked great in the box so I want to see how it comes out and compare later with the eduard...whenever I build that

Im going canopy closed and with the 190s cockpit being rather uncomplicated in layout hasegawas typically sparse 1/72 pits isnt holding the kit back much at all. I think all thats needed is a couple simple improvements to satisfy my urge to tinker. The only short coming in my eyes is the lack of exhaust detail so Ill be opening up holes and vents and making up some exhaust stacks. Should be a blast!
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
AeroScale: 316 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:30 AM UTC
Nice Mike!!
I´m in with this

goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 07:40 PM UTC
First CBI, now ETO - o.k. let's GO!

Great choice, Mike!

As well as you did, Jose. Really like to see the Condor coming together!

From the german point of view (and because I'm infected from Terri`s build and yet haven't one done) there is only one choice for the battle and slaughter of ETO: A "Schlächter" (butcher-bird) FW 190 A/G8 R?.
Well, this campaign could be a bit overloaded with 190's, but anyway
So I chose the well known 1/48 Revell-kit (former Trimaster/Dragon)despite all of it's issues and incorrectness. Little started a long time ago to check the quality before moving on, than put it back to hangar. Photo is from the last weekend when I recovered it in the stash. Will it fit the campaign rules about started kits?

Thomas
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:26 PM UTC
Looking good so far everyone!

I know I said I was going to do P-51s for as many of the campaigns as possible but I've changed my mind. As usual. One of my long running "big plans" is a 1/32 collection of America's WWII single seat fighters in the colors of their highest scoring aces, whether American or not. So, for instance, I'm thinking that in the current Soviet Phoenix Campaign I should be building Grigoriy Rechkalov's P-39. This series of campaigns gives me a great opportunity to get a raft of these done. So for this campaign I think I'll be doing:

photo Cripes A Mighty profile_zpsl4brbpk4.jpg

using:

photo 81Kd-qqgE5L._SL1500_ 1_zps1wkixd9s.jpg

photo Tam P-51D unstarted_zpsrgogh9yp.jpg

Then for upcoming campaigns I could do Hans Wind's F2A and Dave McCampbell's F6F. The P-40 is almost completely done on the unfinished shelf, so too far gone for the MTO Campaign, I'll have to come up with something else for that (thinking about it), but this does mean a very enjoyable build for this campaign anyway! Now we'll see if I can stick to all this!

Michael
SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
AeroScale: 316 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 08:28 PM UTC
Excellent Thomas!! Another 190

Michael I will follow your Mustang..... I´m interested in the Tamiya kit....
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 11:17 PM UTC
I picked this Accurate Miniatures RAF Mustang Mk1A on Ebay for $17.00. No box, instructions, or decals.

Jesse directed me to a link where I could down load the instrucstions for the P-51A (not much difference)I only now need to find decals.

photo RAF Mustang Mk1A.jpeg
 photo IMG_4015.jpg
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 01:21 AM UTC
I'm in!

Academy 1/72 P-47D Razorback. Even had a set of Eduard brass. Checkerboard decals are for an MTO bird, but there's a set of decals for and ETO version. Now how much can I get done before I leave the country for 3 weeks??

And don't look too closely at the time stamp, its 10PM PST on 1/31/17
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 02:47 AM UTC
Meng 1:48 P-51D Mustang

I am in. I'm going with Meng's new P-51D as "Big Beautiful Doll". This kit is excellent throughout, easily the best 1:48 P-51 now. They took a lot of engineering ideas from Tamiya's 1:32 P-51 series and scaled them down.

I'll get started on it this weekend.
Xirrcom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi guys!
That's exciting seeing such a collection already in the campaign.
I hope another P-51 will not make it dull...
A long waiting on the shelf finally got it's way to the bench
So I'm in with 1/32 P-51D by Zoukei Mura.

link to build log: http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/255320&page=1

Stevea4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:49 AM UTC
This is my first real group build and I have decided on the Eduard 1/48 Lysader MkIII profipack. I hope that this will come out well!
Quick edit
I am trying to add my photos to the post but having some difficulty doing so, can anyone help?
Thanks Steve
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:46 AM UTC
Not an expert by any means

You can't post directly. You need to have the photos on a hosting site like Photobucket. You may also be able to save it to the Kitmaker gallery, but that was space limited.

Once you have it in Photobucket, use the share this file window to select the IMG link, that will copy the link, then you just paste it into your Kitmaker post.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 03:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice Mike!!
I´m in with this

Excellent choice! Im glad the battle of the atlantic got included and Im looking foward too seeing a condor or two come together. If I wasn't so busy already I was considering a USN Avenger in the atlantic gray and white scheme.

Many other great selections too!

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 04:58 AM UTC
Hi Steve here's something I whipped up for another campaign to help another aeroscaler post pics

Click the image button on the bottom right

this will insert this piece of html into your post

I personally use Photobucket for my pic hosting and they have a direct heading to the immediate right of the pic click this and it should turn yellow and say copied temporarily this copies the link to clipboard on your PC. Then just highlight the text in between the two sets of square brackets and right click and hit paste and you're good to go.

if anything is unclear ask me and I'll see if I can clarify.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 05:42 AM UTC
Wow Chris, that's an even better explanation than mine.
ClaytonFromEllijay
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
AeroScale: 63 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 05:48 AM UTC
Yeah, that's pretty succinct, you should repost that in it's own thread....
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 06:05 AM UTC
That was an excellent tutorial! I didnt know it was that easy I've been going through some neanderthal/ square wheel of a process I conjured up years ago
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 06:41 AM UTC
Interesting Chris! I always use the "HTML" link on Photobucket and paste that directly into my forum post, that works too. Great explanation though, thanks for doing it! That's the kind of help you get around here Steve, and with actual modeling too.

Michael
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 06:50 AM UTC
Michael is it worth creating this in it's own thread? You're the brains (some of them at least) behind the scenes what do you think?
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 08:54 AM UTC
FWIW, when I use the "IMG" link in Photobucket, it packs all the HTML code around the photo address and pastes it into the post with no additional effort.
simonn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 62 posts
AeroScale: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 12:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is my first real group build and I have decided on the Eduard 1/48 Lysader MkIII profipack. I hope that this will come out well!
Quick edit
I am trying to add my photos to the post but having some difficulty doing so, can anyone help?
Thanks Steve

Steve

I am building the Lysander for my first Air Campaign too - the CBI campaign. I have the Gavia boxing with some after market PE. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how you progress.

Simon
Pave-Hawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
AeroScale: 200 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 01:13 PM UTC
Going to go with Tamiyas He162 Salamander in 1/48 as my first choice for this campaign.

Apologies for the blurry picture, my 12 month old decide it was a fun thin to grab and crinkle the plastic bags, while I tried to take a photo.

I may add the second kit from my "Aussie Eights" Eduard dual combo kit which has an option based in France, but I haven't decided yet.

The first kit from the combo is being used for the CBI campaign, so building them both at once wouldn't be a hassle, but I have to decide if there is another scheme I prefer over the single European theater one.
nico37
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indre-et-Loire, France
KitMaker: 651 posts
AeroScale: 181 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 04:38 PM UTC
Hi all,

wooo, great choices so far, the P-51 is going to be well represented ! It's my favorite ww2 warbird but i think i'll do a french plane althougt i did not chose which one yet ....

cheers
nico
Stevea4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quick edit
Thanks Steve

Steve

I am building the Lysander for my first Air Campaign too - the CBI campaign. I have the Gavia boxing with some after market PE. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how you progress.

Simon

Hi Simon
The Eduard sprues I believe are from the old Gavia kit and they just added in a set of photo etch, some resin, and a big olc decal sheet. I am pretty interested to see how this goes and I will be checking out yours.

And thank you to all of you guys who answered my question on the pictures. I really appreciate it very much and hopefully my non computer illiterate brain figures it out.
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Friday, February 03, 2017 - 04:21 AM UTC
Wow,
very nice kits are here! To ease of from my mohawk in the cbi campaign, I will do the Airfix Typhoon. No changes, just out of the box for fun. Hence, I am in!

Oliver
 _GOTOTOP