_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hasegawa BF109G-2
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 08:03 PM UTC
Hi folks,

so for my next foray I've decided on this.....

Got the cockpit done and fuselage together without issues

Next even the wings were in the right place (for those of you who have seen my *ahem* "unique" typhoon wings)...

So wings mated to fuselage (dry fit - I've learned my lesson )

But wait!
What is this gap I see before me???

There are 2 (I assume) radiators fitted into the wings before putting those together so when I glued top to bottom I assumed you glued the top half of the wing to the top of the radiator part - that would be a fair assumption I thought..

So after some persuasion parts were parted....

And with the help of some superglue, tape and a handy sized spacer crisis averted..

Tell me, is there some sort of award I'm in the running for that's given out to people who have not quite, well, you know

goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 - 09:46 PM UTC
Ahh, the classic & well known "Black 6"!
Nice start on it, Ian.
But some sort of award? Check out the left and right side and compare. Hope the the radiators and the wing`s thickness are now not too much different...
Thomas
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 12:23 AM UTC
Oh - it's well known (this kit?)....is that for this issue??

By the way the thing about the award was a reflection on my (huge) lack of modelling skills 😀
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh - it's well known (this kit?)....is that for this issue??

By the way the thing about the award was a reflection on my (huge) lack of modelling skills 😀

Ian, I was kidding about the Award, but check the Wings nicely.

As for the "black 6" the kit as more the real a/c for sure is known. And there are only a few 1/48 G2-kits

"... Bf 109G-2/trop W.Nr. 10639

Captured in Tunisia in 1943 and often attributed to Heinz Lüdemann of 2./JG77, "Black 6" is likely one of the most famous, if not THE most famous 109 survivor extant thanks to her intricate restoration at the hands of Russ Snadden and his team. She appeared at numerous airshows throughout the early 1990s, demonstrating the grace and power of this beautiful aircraft, and in a twist of sheer irony was heavily damaged when landing from what was to be herfinal flight before permanent retirement in the RAF Museum.

Her reconstruction is now complete, but sadly we can no longer thrill to the sight and sound of this magnificent warbird- she has been "stuffed and mounted", and is forbidden to take to the air again..."

Thomas
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2017 - 10:29 PM UTC
thankfully the gap on both wings is equal....

test fitted the front cowls and they don't quite fit right though

lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 08:54 PM UTC
so I've had time to do some work on the 109.

I bought a set of sky models am decals.

Is it just me or do the decals look on the large side (the shield and what I presume is the unit logo)?

I know it's the wrong mark for these decals but hey ho - poetic licence
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 09:46 PM UTC
Looking real good Ian. Like the scheme you have gone for
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:05 PM UTC
Thanks James!

It's not accurate - it started out being correct but I wasn't paying attention when I did the camo (looked at the wrong page on the am decals ) BUT I do quite like it.....

I still have what seems like 100's of the small decals to apply and the matt coat and some final details. Other assembiles are done.

Still not done the canopy - couldn't get on with the liquid mask so will need the magnifying glass and some tape.....
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 10:47 PM UTC
I like it , scheme looks cool

Terri
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2017 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

so I've had time to do some work on the 109.

I bought a set of sky models am decals.

Is it just me or do the decals look on the large side (the shield and what I presume is the unit logo)?

The decals are o.k., but it's the wrong aircraft. The shape and fuselage of a "E" is much different from a "G", so they are on the large side. And the "shield" is the insignia of the famous JG (Jagdgeschwader) 26 "Schlageter". They play an important role while D-Day and their pilots developed to some of the best aces ever.

Nice work on modelling and paint job - but as you said, wrong a/c with wrong decals. 4/JG26 1.Gruppe (NOT 6 as said, Tiger-head is 4) never flew "G"'s, last Messerschmitt was a "F" before equipped with FW190's. Other groups flew G's.

Anyway, very good job.

Thomas
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 12:27 AM UTC
Thanks Terri!

And Thomas, that explains it . I just did not like the scheme of black 6 and kind of wanted a 109 with yellow nose and rudder. The unit I went for fitted one of these criteria (wrong aircraft though ) but not the other. Thanks for the clarification

All these kits are building to something I've wanted to do for about 10 years so at the moment it's all a learning curve
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Terri!

And Thomas, that explains it . I just did not like the scheme of black 6 and kind of wanted a 109 with yellow nose and rudder. The unit I went for fitted one of these criteria (wrong aircraft though ) but not the other. Thanks for the clarification

All these kits are building to something I've wanted to do for about 10 years so at the moment it's all a learning curve

Ian - you're doing just fine . Your work looks good and remember - it's a hobby - keep it fun ! - Richard
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 04:54 PM UTC
Its the first time i have seen these markings on a Gustav but i like it.
Clean build, well done so far !

Bernd
MaciejWM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Zachodniopomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 11:46 PM UTC
Hi, I am far away from denying the fun and freedom that the hobby give us but using 109 Emil scheme for 109 Gustav is beyond my imagination. Should I use that way in my next P-51? Can I paint my P-51 with RLM 81/82/76? Would All You like that painting scheme? Despite all above I admire the quality of paint job that Ian has done. But better accuracy in painting scheme IMO would be welcome Best greetings
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hi Maciej,

Indeed the scheme is wrong for a G but by the time I realised it was too late.

Maybe look on it as an alternative reality

_GOTOTOP