_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
TBD-1 1/48 figures
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 11:19 PM UTC
Good morning all!

I am in the process of building a little project involving the TBD-1 (Midway era) and am in need of a pilot, standing preferably and a rear gunner who will be deceased in the scene.

Can anyone help me find the figures or have any left from the old Monogram kit that could be bought, sold or traded for?

Thank you in advance. This is my first plane project in a while and the kit (Great Wall) is in route as we speak!

Thank you again.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:15 AM UTC
Patrick -

I assume we are talking 1/48 - Aerobonus makes a nice WW II Navy pilot figure in Pacific theater gear - Posed standing with one foot up on something - check out CMK and Ultracast as well - all available from Sprue Bros- also try e bay. The Aerobonus figures are very nice-some of the CMK figures seem like their heads are disproportionately small.

You are likely going to have to modify a figure or combine parts of two or more figures to pose your deceased gunner presumably slumped over.

If needed you can probably get more help in figure posing from the armor guys/sites - posting a how to question on Armoama would be a good place to start.

Hope this is of some help and I hope you will post your project - it sounds interesting !

Richard
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 02:12 AM UTC
Richard,
Yes it is 1/48th... and I am a regular over at Armorama and got some direction there along with "why don't you ask the guys at Aeroscale?" LOL!

Thanks for the leads and I am going for my second attempt at figure modeling but these guys won't be quite so exposed as my previous project (I weenied out on finishing the figures...)

Thanks again and I check out the possibilities!
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 02:20 AM UTC
I've built one of the Monogram Devastator's and I have a second in the stash if memory serves me correctly, I'll search my spares and the stash tonight and see if I can find the figures. You're welcome to them if I can find them as I rarely use figures myself.

Cheers
Chris
warmonger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:56 AM UTC
Tamiya has a 1/48 US Navy pilot set where the look to be having a informal briefing. It might work for you. A few figures are in the set along with a tug and a couple of a/c maintenance crew.
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've built one of the Monogram Devastator's and I have a second in the stash if memory serves me correctly, I'll search my spares and the stash tonight and see if I can find the figures. You're welcome to them if I can find them as I rarely use figures myself.

Cheers
Chris

Chris,
That's great news! I can't tell you how great that would be! Let me know if you want anything in exchange. I think I have a Monogram P-51Black Widow laying around that I bought in a garage sale for a buck or so if you want to trade! I just have to find it but that is one of my week off projects!

LMK and thanks again!
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 06:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the info! I will look it up!

Great bunch of folks here! Just as nice as over on the armor side...
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 12:08 PM UTC
Hi Patrick

You're in luck buddy I have not one but two in the stash and I've removed the figures from one of them. Plus I've found another couple of pilot and crew figures from another revell kit that looks like they're in pacific theatre garb so I'll throw those in too. Let me know if you want the second set of figures as well.

Cheers
Chris
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 01:43 PM UTC
You're a good man c4, I take back everything I've said about Kiwis. Well, most of it!
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 11:45 PM UTC
As do I D ..... as do I.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2017 - 08:39 AM UTC
Patrick 'ol buddy if you want the figures you'll have to reply to my PM with your address details.

Cheers
Chris
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 12:01 AM UTC
Chris, I spend all week at work in front of a computer so on my week off, I have a tendency to avoid it! Thanks for your patience.

I have sent you a PM with all the pertinent info.

I don't know what it is but every single time I interact with people on this forum and over on Armorama, I come away thinking "what a great group of people who give of their time, advice, help and stuff without judgment or rancor!"

You are a great and welcoming bunch. BTW, I will try to post over here the progress on this diorama project. There are some who will want to compare it to previous projects by masters but I am going to try to add a twist. Did you know the TBD-1 had flotation bags built into the top of the wings that needed to be deflated by a knife cut after ditching in order to let the aircraft sink? I didn't know that either... I love the educational aspect of research!

Thanks again especially to Chris and to all here!
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2017 - 01:29 AM UTC
PM sent my friend I'll find as many figures as I can that suit your needs but most of my stuff is ETO or MTO. Good luck look forward to seeing what you create!
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2017 - 07:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers
Chris

A Big old tip o' the hat to Chris Wilson for sending me some figures all the way from Christchurch, NZ... at no cost to me but when I saw the postage he paid, I feel really really guilty!

Anyway, the arrival in the post motivated me to get cracking on my new and forever hobby space. I got space cleared and the new paint booth assembled. While it may not be as large as I would like, it is a great beginning (MicroMark booth received as Christmas present from the GF/Fiance...)

Work again for three days and then a week off. First thing... to get the kit in a nice soapy wash and the canopy off to my buddy, Russ Bucy for some vacuuforming. Then into primary, maybe Friday and a concoction of greens to do the cockpit.

Man, this is going to be fun. I get to build the airplane first then work on the water hazard! Fore!
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 03:51 AM UTC
Awesome they made it through the border I was wondering if they'd be "detained". Look forward to seeing your build my friend.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 04:02 AM UTC
Hey Chris - If you have any 1/1 scale figures of Sofia Vergara could you send them my way ? Thanks - Richard
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 04:34 AM UTC
If I did have a 1/1 scale figure of Sofia Vergara I doubt I could get it in the post to you buddy unless it was inflatable. Mind you I'd probably get arrested for people smuggling.
pnance26
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2017 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Awesome they made it through the border I was wondering if they'd be "detained". Look forward to seeing your build my friend.

They were obviously American WW2 veterans so they were okay.
 _GOTOTOP