JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 11:54 AM UTC
Unpacking and sorting out bins last night I found an old friend, Monogram's TBF Avenger. I had built at least 2 while a kid. I parted with $3 and in January 1987 I started another. Inspired by the late Sheperd Paine's "creative gizmology" and with a growing understanding of WW2 airframe structure, I decided to create an Avenger like no other.

I used Plastruct, styrene sheet, wire, stretched sprue, soda straws, model railroad items, odds-n-ends, and parts from other models. Eventually, I had the interior almost complete and sealed it up, then painted and decaled it c. 1989-91. But I was traveling a lot back then and the model was put in storage several times. It has been knocked about quite a bit and crossed the country twice. But the old "turkey" just needs a little TLC and eventually will be on my shelf. The photos show a variety of my efforts, as well as cardstock templates i used to make bulkheads. Enjoy.

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 02:30 PM UTC
Frederick,
Another oldie dragged from the past. The upper s look nicely weathered. Should lok great on display. Kudos on your interior upgrades.

Gaz
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 10:30 PM UTC
Fred,
Another great build of an old Monogram kit. It's really quite impressive. While I'm sure that I built at least one of these kits, most likely maybe more, none have survived my modeling journey through life.

I did have to laugh at how Monogram attached the landing gear. I'm sure while not like the prototype, it was strong, reliable, and looks like it let you have the option to fold the gear.

Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:22 AM UTC
I did this one with the old Medallion Models resin detail set from the late '80s. It didn't have anything for the lower gunner's position, so I had to resort to styrene strip, rod and card to make up something to fill the void. Then I printed out "If you can read this you seriously need to get a life" in 6 point font and glued it into the upper curve of the rear fuselage for the enjoyment of the dental mirror brigade.

Mine is in about the same condition as yours now. Maybe someday it'll get finished.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"If you can read this you seriously need to get a life" in 6 point font and glued it into the upper curve of the rear fuselage for the enjoyment of the dental mirror brigade.

Salute!!
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did have to laugh at how Monogram attached the landing gear. ...looks like it let you have the option to fold the gear.

Hi Joel,

Yes indeed, it does retract. Part of their "action" features: the bomb bay doors can open or snap shut, the wings fold, the tail wheel and hook retract. Two triangular panels along the wing folds open so, IIRC, the folding mechanism can move freely. Oh, and the torpedo can be pulled out - not mechanically like their SBD or Helldiver, but pretty impressive when I first built my TBF.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC
I remember this kit , had it at one time in the stash but I ended up giving the kit away to a younger modeler .

Looking forward to seeing this one finished .

Terri
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 02:58 AM UTC
Thank you gang, I have fun showing these off. Sad that it is in such bad shape now, but it can be fixed.

Now that I have some resources like my TBM crawl-through TBM-3E Avenger, maybe I'll make some things more accurate. But I also have the Accurate Miniatures Avenger so I'll probably build this one as a tribute to my past and enjoy it for what it is.

I doubt my Pactra paint used on this model is still good, so I worry about mis-matched canopy colors.

When I complete her, I'll let you all know.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you gang, I have fun showing these off. Sad that it is in such bad shape now, but it can be fixed.

Now that I have some resources like my TBM crawl-through TBM-3E Avenger, maybe I'll make some things more accurate. But I also have the Accurate Miniatures Avenger so I'll probably build this one as a tribute to my past and enjoy it for what it is.

I doubt my Pactra paint used on this model is still good, so I worry about mis-matched canopy colors.

When I complete her, I'll let you all know.

Fred,
You did a nice job on this old dog. It's the later Monogram "White Box" offering, from the late 70s I believe. My Father was a plank holder of the USS Essex and Torpedo 9, and he had some great stories about the TBF and life aboard the Essex from Dec 1942-April 1944, when he transferred off in San Francisco. We built this kit from the old original "flight deck" boxing back in about 1961 or 62 as I recall-- I think the kit is actually a 1959 release, back in the heyday of Monogram (I don't know, now that they own Revell, maybe today is their heyday). My Dad told me about his rear turret and radio-man position riding days when the ship was on trials in the Atlantic (he was an Aviation Metal-smith, but all members of Torpedo 9 had to "check ride" during the early work ups in Norfolk before they got aboard. He actually flew a mission on a U-boat sweep). Anyway, this model is where I learned about my Dad's wartime experiences. I did a few "torpedo runs" on imaginary Japanese Battleships in the old vinyl sided pool in our backyard in the 60s with that TBF. Later, when Accurate miniatures came out-- I built one for Dad, with a shot-up wing based on one of his experiences--I think that's what got me back into modeling in the 90's--my desire to replicate one for him and urging from my teacher-wife who wanted one in her class room. I have the 1/32 Trumpeter kit in the stash, which is probably the best TBF (except for the engraved rivets and thin wheels), but this one sure brings back memories-- thanks for posting!
VR, Russ
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 07:24 AM UTC
Why does the insignia have a blue AND red surround?

You've done a good job. Still couldn't pay me to build one of these old Monogram kits anymore lol. In fact, I gave one of these away this past year.

JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2016 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why does the insignia have a blue AND red surround?

Matt, you just spotted something that I have missed for 25+ years. I painted the red border by painting the excess clear film. I probably was not confident enough to try to just paint over the blue border.

Great eye for that!
 _GOTOTOP