_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/24 Hurricane tropical conversion?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:26 AM UTC
The Works discount bookstore have been selling off Airfix 1/24 Spitfire V's and Hurricanes incredibly cheaply recently.
I've taken the opportunity to grab a Spit and a Hurricane last week for £30 each. Today was even better as the Edinburgh (spending a couple of days here over Christmas) store were selling the Hurricanes at a further reduction of £20! So how could I resist a second one of those?

As they are the gift set boxings, I'm limited to one marking option for each, so I'd like to try a little something different for the second Hurricane.
My first thought is a tropical version.

So my question is this, would it be possible with some trimming to get the volkes filter from the Spit to fit?
Or are the difference's too many?
Has anybody ever tried it?
Obviously the Spit and all my references are back home so I can't have a test fit and check.

While I'm here, does anyone know if resin wheels are available to replace the awful rubber tyres on the kit?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC
Ooohhhh - childhood dream for £30!........

Is the filter from the spitfire kit? Instructions seem to show the "chin" as part of the fuselage halfs?

Or am I thinking of the wrong part?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 02:39 AM UTC
I know right, easily half the rrp! Can't resist that even though I know they will need work to build. But that's all part of the fun.
The Spit has both the volkes and aboukir filters as well as other parts for tropical vb's. Sadly not the markings though. A pity as the regular box has Ian Gleeds aircraft as does the Hurricane. Would have been great to display both.
The volkes does have the chin moulded to it. I would have to trim it off looking at photos of tropical Hurricanes. I'll have a play about it and see what I can do. Need to find some suitable markings for it too.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 03:14 AM UTC
Hi Stephen

With the Vokes filter housing, that's a really interesting question - and it's at moment like these that I really miss having Edgar with us for the definitive answer.

You've hedged your bets with "some trimming". Logically... "maybe" - with some filling to help the trimming. When faced with ideas in video editing that nobody we knew had tried before, the motto was "Suck it and see..." - and I guess that applies here!

I'll be great to see the results of the experiment.

All the best

Rowan
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 12:52 PM UTC
Trumpeter do a tropical 1/24th Hurricane any chance you could copy the vokes filter on that? It may be less of an issue than adjusting a 1/24th spitfires? As to resin wheels I've only seen a set for the Typhoon could they be used?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 09:09 PM UTC
Chris I did think of that but I don't know anyone who has a Trumpeter Hurricane for me to have a look at. I'm not even sure if it's included as a spare in their Mk.1 kit or just the tropical II's.
If money were no object I would have just bought that.

As I said it's just an idea at the moment. I can get other BoB era decals for it, so if it doesn't work I have alternatives schemes.

I'll have a play about with the volkes filter and see what happens. As Rowan, filling will be necessary! Better stock up on miliput. Still got a few other projects to finish before I tackle it anyway.

I'll have a look at those Typhoon wheels though. They might be the same pattern.
The Spitfire wheels also need replacing but nothing is coming up for them.

Thanks for the suggestions and happy new year!
lawzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
You can get 1/48 filters - least it would give you the shape? Can't remember what kit it's for (was a hurricane) but you can get em on fleabay.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 09:51 PM UTC
I managed to get a chance to have a proper look at the parts last night and it doesn't look like it will work.
Looking at the Spits volkes and plan drawings and photos of the Hurricanes, they look to be very different in shape.
The Hurricanes is a lot more rounded at the bottom rear, whereas the Spits is much flatter.
There are other differences too.
It may be possible to make the alterations with some sculpting, but not sure I could pull it off.

_GOTOTOP