_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb 1:48
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2016 - 12:03 AM UTC
Hello Aeroscalers, something rolled out the production line. Number three for this year, after two Fw 190, its the Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb in 1:48 scale.
The build was done with the addition of a PE set from Eduard for the Cockpit and decals from Eagle Strike for a quite coloful aircraft, EN570, 4 F.S. flown by the unit commander Major Levine in the MTO, June 1943.
Some sources said it was a Vc some its a Vb, so mine is a "b" version.

Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 04:01 AM UTC
Bernd,
this is another flawless model out of your production line! Very nice and subtle weathering of Your Spit. Thank's for sharing.

Oliver
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 12:19 PM UTC
Beautiful! Nice how the spot of the RAF roundels are still visible in the camo and beneath the US roundel.

Jelger
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bernd,
this is another flawless model out of your production line! Very nice and subtle weathering of Your Spit. Thank's for sharing.

Oliver

Hi Oliver, thanks for stopping and leaving a comment. This kit brought much fun and i will do another one, or the Spitfire Mk.I basing of these molds in the future.
Have a great new year and guten Rutsch

Cheers
Bernd
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful! Nice how the spot of the RAF roundels are still visible in the camo and beneath the US roundel.

Jelger

Hello Jelger
Thank you very much, after looking for builds of this kit, i thought it would be a good move to use not the kit decals.
Decals from the old tool Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb were used as templates.

Have a great new year

Bernd
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:34 AM UTC
Excellent work Bernd! Love the camo and the subject, which Airfix kit is the MkVb 1/48 spitfire?
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi Chris, thanks for commenting.
The new tool Airfis Spitfire Mk.Vb in 1:48 has the item number:
A05125
https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjy89fF3KjRAhVCWCwKHXkyCukQFggrMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.airfix.com%2Fuk-en%2Fsupermarine-spitfire-mkvb-1-48.html&usg=AFQjCNGWpJRIZia-5mLvqUpEKNG-oP-nog&sig2=5VDboFQwnFm9ryrR0JhYLw

A very nice kit, which builds very well.

Cheers
Bernd
politicni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovenia
KitMaker: 46 posts
AeroScale: 46 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 12:02 AM UTC
Nice and great work !!

LIKE!

P.k
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 01:00 AM UTC
Nice Yankee Spitfire Bern!

A fancy MTO camouflage with the stars n stripes flag is always eye catching. Very well done.

Cheers,
Pedro
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the thumps up, P.K
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:15 AM UTC
Thank you Pedro
An US crewed Spitfire is really something different, maybe more of those in the future.

Cheers
Bernd
forest1000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 80 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 02:32 AM UTC
Very nice work. The colour scheme looks good on a Spitfire.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 07:48 PM UTC
Thank you David, much appreciated.

Bernd
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 08:57 PM UTC
Fantastic work Bernd! Love the colour scheme, not often we see Spits completed in US markings.

Another reminder that I really do need to get this kit. Always liked the tropical Mk.v but have yet to build even one.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 - 11:26 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind comment, Stephen

Go for this kit, its fun to build.

Cheers
Bernd
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2017 - 02:28 AM UTC
I think I will grab one after next pay day.

The included Malta markings look very nice.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 08:03 PM UTC
Get yourself one, Stephen its a great kit and the "Malta" version is indeed highly interesting.
Its often written that this kit has a weak undercarriage, i have secured this with a drop of super glue but it will be sturdy with plastic glue as well. After the wheels were added to the struts, i sanded a flat spot on them and everything remained in good order.

Happy modelling with this one.

Bernd
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 11:40 PM UTC
Bernd,
Just an excellent build. The choice of the US MTO markings is quite striking, and certainly eye grabbing. Very well done my friend.

Joel

berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 01:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bernd,
Just an excellent build. The choice of the US MTO markings is quite striking, and certainly eye grabbing. Very well done my friend.

Joel

Hello Joel, thank you very much for this kind comment and this marking scheme is indeed very striking, may one of the best looking of that breed.

Bernd

phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Get yourself one, Stephen its a great kit and the "Malta" version is indeed highly interesting.
Its often written that this kit has a weak undercarriage, i have secured this with a drop of super glue but it will be sturdy with plastic glue as well. After the wheels were added to the struts, i sanded a flat spot on them and everything remained in good order.

Happy modelling with this one.

Bernd

Thanks for the recommendation.

I went into my local model shop yesterday with the plan of buying this kit. Unfortunately they had sold out but are getting more next month.
They did however have Revell's recent 1/48 Spit Vc kit (I believe is the Special Hobby kit reboxed). A fantastic kit that has a lot of optional parts, including the option of fitting all 4 20mm cannon!
The proof will be in the building but I do recommend it.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 01:06 AM UTC
Good catch, Stephen !
this kit is riding high on my want list, the parts look good and there is a nice decal sheet in.

I have the old Airfix Spitfire Vc/Seafire kit, beside the flaws of this kit, there are decals for a South African bird with 4x20mm guns in, they look usable.
The Revell suggestions have a more standart armament, right ?

Its often said the SH Spitfire is a worse fitting kit, guess it can t be too hard.

Happy modelling
Bernd
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:36 PM UTC
Really nice work on the Spit, Bernd!!!
Love the camo and markings and very well done painting, weathering&detailing. Have this kit 3(!) times in my stash - Airfix Dogfight Kit w/Bf 109E ( ). Now really have to put it on the desk and build one!
Thomas
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 10:53 PM UTC
Truly a beautiful job!
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good catch, Stephen !
this kit is riding high on my want list, the parts look good and there is a nice decal sheet in.

I have the old Airfix Spitfire Vc/Seafire kit, beside the flaws of this kit, there are decals for a South African bird with 4x20mm guns in, they look usable.
The Revell suggestions have a more standard armament, right ?

Its often said the SH Spitfire is a worse fitting kit, guess it can t be too hard.

Happy modelling
Bernd

I've got one of those Airfix Vb/c/Seafire's in my stash. I think a lot of people do! It needs some careful rescribing to build a Seafire III, something outside of my skill set yet. I always planned to build it as a Seafire IIc if I can find the decals for it. The kit has all the bits to build the earlier version.
Again, it's a kit with a LOT of extra parts!

The South African markings from that kit would be interesting to use. I have seen photo's of that aircraft with it's full cannon fit. Although they could carry them, I believe it was very rare for C wing Spits to have them. I think the extra weight affected performance too much to make it worthwhile. At least on the Mk.V airframe. It was usually used in the Med and Italy for low-level strafing. I've read references to some Malta based aircraft having the fit for added firepower against bombers.

The Revell Vc does show the fitting of all 4 cannon in the instructions, but the marking options are both standard 2x 20mm and 4x .303 Brownings. The short plugged barrel is provided to do that. Great to have the option in case AM decal sheets include an upgunned option.
I'm looking forward to making a start on it once I've cleared my desk of some ongoing builds.

Stephen
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Really nice work on the Spit, Bernd!!!
Love the camo and markings and very well done painting, weathering&detailing. Have this kit 3(!) times in my stash - Airfix Dogfight Kit w/Bf 109E ( ). Now really have to put it on the desk and build one!
Thomas

Thank you very much for this kind comment, Thomas

Nothing wrong with having good kits in stash and the current weather conditions here in Germany are perfect for staying in and have some flying hours on the bench.

Guess i will do some more of this intersting and well designed kit.The Airfix double dogfight set sounds good, you can t have enough of Emils as well.

There is currently the Airfix Bf 109E in 1:48 on my bench, may not Tamigawa quality but the build is very pleasant. A replacement for the propeller and maybe new wheels won t be too bad for the look of it.

Greetings from Salzgitter

Bernd
 _GOTOTOP