_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Engine cowling Spitfire IX questions
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi.
I'm looking for some answers about the engines and cowling designs for a Spitfire IX c and the IX e.
Few years ago I started the Brassin set 648112 from Eduard. I believe it represents the Merlin 63 type?
With this set you get options for which cowling to use and exhausts There is a specific flat and a more rounder cowling top.This also good for the exhausts, flat v.s. round.
From what I've learned from other sites the difference in shape is related to the engines. I'm no expert. Maybe someone can help me out to make the right choices, to replicate a 1/48 scale Spitfire?

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 04:23 AM UTC

The different cowlings are related to the Mk XVI variant which is a Mk IX variant with an American-made Packard Merlin engine (not Rolls-Royce made), with a bulkier ancillary pump that required a rounder cowling...

It could be some Mk IXs ended up with a round Mk XVI cowlings, but the Mk XVI could not use the "flat" cowling because of its bulkier engine ancillary pump/item.

That is my recollection of this, but it is only from memory.

It could be the "round" cowling later became standard, or very common, on all later Mk IXs...

I hope this helps.

Gaston

SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 - 06:01 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply Gaston.
But what about the exhausts?

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
padawan_82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 - 02:28 AM UTC
Could you post some pictures? That might help with identifying what it is you're describing, with you mentioning the exhausts it sounds like you are describing a Griffon engined spitfire but I don't recall any MK IX's being fitted with the Griffon, though I don't profess to being a expert on the spitfire, there's more knowledgeable people than I on here. But like I said post some pictures and people will be able to nail down for you the answer.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 03:00 PM UTC

I don't know about the exhausts, unfortunately... It could be an individual aircraft issue, as both types seem to appear on late war bubbletop Mk XVIs... I think the round exhausts were somewhat rarer, especially on Mk IXs...

Gaston

_GOTOTOP