_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Trumpeter Avenger 1:32
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hi all!
Afer having thought a lot, and asked this community for help, I decided that my next build will be a Trumpeter Avenger in 1:32.

Well, the box is really huge! I was really stunned from just the size of it... On opening the box I was overwhelmed by the bulk of plastic inside: it promises houres of pure modelling joy!

So here we go! As per instruction I started with the engine, which is now completed...

Next I decided to build the bomb bay, one of the reason I choose this plane on the first place

Even though I think I'll use the torpedo, I detailed also the 500 lb bombs, maybe I'll use them on a small diorama...

well, this is it... I hope you like it and, as usual, any comment is highly appreciated!
ciao
Edo
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 03:21 PM UTC
Great start Edo, really neat detail work. This is going to be a big beast!

Best of luck with the build, looking forward to following your progress on this one.

Cheers, D
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 05:05 PM UTC
Edoardo, nice looking start.

There are some really nice details. Really shows what can be done in 1/32.

Looking forward to see more.
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 07:17 PM UTC
Hi Edoardo,
this is a real promising start. I will gladly follow Your built.
Your wiring skills are excellent!

Oliver
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 09:05 PM UTC
edoardo,

Excellent choice of kits, as I've got one to build list. Looking forward to following your build with much interest.

Nice job on detailing the Wright R-2600-20 Cyclone engine, as that bomb. 1/32 scale does offer some great opportunities for detailing.

Joel
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 - 11:06 PM UTC
hi all!
thank you for the kind comments! i like very much wireing an tubing... maybe I made the wrong mistake and I should have chosen to be a plummer or an electrician
indeed this scale is perfect for detailing. I make a critic to Trumpeter, as well as other manufacturers though: engraving wires an pipes directly on the fusolage is not the best option for me. It is an awful hard job painting them, and they never look quite convicing. It would be much better just to drill holes and provide pipes separately (or maybe just L and T junctions and let us modeller do the rest), as add on tools on model armour.
How do you deal with them convincingly?
ciao
edo
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 12:45 AM UTC
It IS a big bird. We're restoring one at the museum now, and even next to the Lancaster it's a massive bird.

We expect to have it flying again 2017 or 2018, depending on several other projects (a Tracker, work on our Canso, a Stinson and others)
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hi Edoardo,
It is a great kit to build, and as you say will keep you busy for a fair while. I built one in RNZAF colours about five years ago. From memory the main two diificulties I had were with the bomb bay doors which were warped and the ball turret was a very fiddly fit. I will be following this with interest.

cheers
Michael
TimReynaga
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 06:53 AM UTC
OOOOOOOOh,looking good! This is gonna be fun!

edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2016 - 12:28 PM UTC
Thank you guys! I'll keep you updated.
In the meanwhile, I am still detailing the bomb bay, so no valuable update yet but, slowly, it will come.
Matt, too cool you are working in restoring planes! A 1:1 model is the dream for many of us! Ehm... may I ask you if you have some nice picture to share? It would be very interesting and also a source of inspiration for all of us....
ciao
edo
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 08:34 PM UTC
This will be interesting Edo , different not see you build wood and fabric subjects .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
Edo,
I had to take another look at your Cyclone engine, and it seems that Trumpeter did get the geometry right on the valve covers/pushrod tubes down to the base of the cylinders. Everything does line up quite nicely.

Nice job on all those exhaust pipes back there. Even if you went with a rusty exhaust system, paint the brackets a dark Aluminum color. Will make a huge difference.

I really like the added detailing to both the engine compartment and the start of the Bombay.

Joel
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 12:28 AM UTC
Terry ! you are right! but actually, i find that there are fiew interesting ww1 aircraft at the moment and the procedure WNW put in place is to me discouraging. besides a change in subject can keep interest alive (not only in aircraft modelling, actually )
also i find that this trumpeter model (my first fron this manufacturer) is great value for money.

Joeal, thank you for you comments. not sure what you mean by painting brackets dark alluminium ... what "brackets" are? (sorry, english is not my mothertongue)

the alignment of the pushrods is ok, but you don't have to use the predrilled holes to install the engine as it has to be twisted antclockwise by some degrees to sit properly square.

ciao
edo
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel, thank you for you comments. not sure what you mean by painting brackets dark alluminium ... what "brackets" are? (sorry, english is not my mothertongue)

the alignment of the pushrods is ok, but you don't have to use the predrilled holes to install the engine as it has to be twisted antclockwise by some degrees to sit properly square.

ciao
edo

Edo,
On the exhaust pipes in the back of the engine you painted it primarily an oxide color. There is one molded bracket on each side that is supposed to keep the header in place. They would most likely still be a Aluminum color, but from the heat they would have turned a darker color, even a touch of clear blue and clear yellow.
Joel
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2016 - 10:53 AM UTC
thank you Joel! I now understand! I'll certainly do that.
thank you
ciao
edo
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:10 PM UTC
Hi all!
This is a small update, only 5 pictures, but it took me some times to get here.
I contunued to detail the bomb bay and the engine (brackets painted! ) but todat I want to show you the pilot cockpit and the avionics' bay.
I think the cockpit is at a good level almost finished I'd say, while the avionics is just started. Studying the instructions I guess part G45 in infact a light. so I decided to rebuild it with transparent parts... or at least I'll try...

Here it goes...

This is the comparment's back side

Note part G45 rebuilt.

This is all for now, I hope you'll enjoy.
Ciao Edo
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 08:47 PM UTC
edoardo,
Nice start to the cockpit with just enough added detail. Your painting and weathering really looks quite good.

The back of the bulkhead really shows a lot of work with all those ejector pin marks that you had to deal with. Did you make all those braces, as they came out perfect?

The only thing that just stood out is the one piece shoulder harness that wraps around the bar above the seat. I've never seen it done that way before.

Joel
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC
hi Joel,
thank you for the nice comments.
as far as the harness are concerned, I have followed the instruction that seems to have this arrangement... do you think it is not correct? to tell the truth, I haven't check my refenence on that....
ciao
edo
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 08:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hi Joel,
thank you for the nice comments.
as far as the harness are concerned, I have followed the instruction that seems to have this arrangement... do you think it is not correct? to tell the truth, I haven't check my refenence on that....
ciao
edo

Edo,
I did a quick check of my limited resources, and even took a virtual tour of a TBF cockpit. Not many pictures of the seat and Harness assembly out there. I did find that what you modeled seems to be correct. There are also two hooks, one on each side of that bar which I'm assuming is to hold the harness straps apart so they don't pinch the pilots neck.

What makes no sense is that this arrangement won't hold the pilot tight in the seat as when he moves, the belts move as well not really restricting his movements.

Joel
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 02:18 PM UTC
hey Joel!
thank you for the feed back! I'll leave the belts as they are, eve if what you say makes totallly sense... strange arrangement indeed!
have a great Christmas time!
ciao
edo
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 04:56 PM UTC
Hi all!
I managed to get an hour to work on the model and I completed the interior lamp. In my opinion, after 5 tries, it tourned out really good!and I am very happy of it
Here are some pictures and I hope that you too, wil find it beautiful!!

ciao

edo
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 08:29 PM UTC
Edoardo,
Outstanding work on that light considering what we're seeing is more like 3:1. Very impressive.
Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hi Eduardo

Lovely work on the engine and interior as a whole! Good job filling all the ejector pin marks - and the guard on the lamp is just plain inspiring. It shows what can be done with a bit of lateral thinking (and skill!).

All the best

Rowan
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:05 AM UTC
Ciao Edoardo,
the work place, You built, looks really lovely! I like Your subtle weathering very much. And the build of the lamp is the cherry of the cockpit! Awesome!

Oliver
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2017 - 04:12 PM UTC
hi all !
a full month has passed, but i did not sit on my hands!
so here i am with new photos.
first let me show you the bubble gun enplacement.

here is the rear landing gear

lastly the cockpit were i added some scratchbuilt piping as per reference photos.

ok this is all for now i hope you like it
ciao
edo
 _GOTOTOP