Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
:-) Just to remind you my Spitfire online build can be found here: Spitfire Mk I It's had it's oil wash and is awaiting further weathering (remember to sort by title to get the pics in the correct order) :-)
Here are some pics of my Spitfire Mk Vb, which is catching up with my Mk I:

Mal
Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 09:55 AM UTC
So far so good!!Thanks for sharing!!
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 06:27 PM UTC
Impressive so far,
even I, the lone luft46 modeller, have a few Spits tucked away. I agree with the adage "Never enough Spits"...there's always room for more of them.
Can't wait to see more progress pics.
Cheers
Peter
:-)
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 11:07 PM UTC

Mal ,

You are a The God of Spitfires ( Your Spits are excelent ) , I must confess that My Spit that I bulid and another which are waiting for assembly is Your fault - I starting to love this plane ( F-14 forgive me - still You are number one )

Best Regards
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 08:03 AM UTC
:-) Thanks, My Mk I is almost complete, I'm letting my articles catch up with the online build, before posting more there.
The Mk V will get it's undersurface colour over the week end. I'm taking pics as I mask this up, Does anyone think it's worthwhile me doing a short article on this aspect of the painting process? The main reason for me thinking of this is due to a question a little while ago where I found it almost impossible to discribe masking the leading edge of the wing and the rest of the undersurface. A picture is worth a thousand words :-)
Artur, I have shown you my F14, haven't I? :-)
Mal
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 08:28 AM UTC
I think a write up / pics of the masking and painting would be of great benefit to beginners and experienced modelers.

One thing I would like to see included in on-line builds is "what to do when things go wrong", I know with your wonderful work this doesn't happen often, but something like this, IMHO would be of interest and import to many ?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing I would like to see included in on-line builds is "what to do when things go wrong", I know with your wonderful work this doesn't happen often, but something like this, IMHO would be of interest and import to many ? Chuck

A good point Chuck, this online build is linked to my more recent articles. In these I do try and outline possible pitfalls, as I am aware that most modelling books tell you what to do but not really how to do it. This online build is also really a trial, to see what will work. It maght need to be set up differently, the format it's in at the moment is a bit cumbersome? It requires viewers to realise that they need to "sort" the pics, to get the correct sequence.
I suppose, also, that if I do make a mistake and fix it, I won't think of it as a mistake and therefore haven't, or wouldn't mention it. In the future I'll take more heed, but there have been a few slight misshaps, with this particular model that have been documented. Of course you would have had to have followed every episode :-)
Do you think that online builds are a good idea? I am planning on doing one with my Hasegawa Aichi D3A1 (Val) and KMC resin cockpit and wing fold, which I'm building for the rising sun group build. I'm also building a De Havilland Mosquito Mk VI with an Aries cockpit for the UK build, also ear marked for the online treatment. Personally I like the idea of posting pics and doing a short write up of the stage, rather than putting it all together as an article (so far that is for the online build) and linking to articles to explain particular techniques. What would be handy is for there to be other articles, on this site, that outline differing techniques. That way modellers can more easily find something that works for them. :-)
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 10:30 AM UTC
Hi Mal

The pre-shading's looking good - are you using the new airbrush?

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 08:11 AM UTC
:-) Hi Rowan, you mean my Simair Evolution Yep. One of the problems with my Mk I was that the pre-shading doesn't, quite, show through the dark green. I think that this may have been because the pre-shading was a little light? so the shading on this Mk V is nice and dense. Hopefully I can get it showing through the dark green and ocean grey camo that's coming up. If so I will, at last, be able to update my article on pre-shading :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP