_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
MM Interior Green
210cav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:04 AM UTC
I am venturing into unmarked territory with airplane models, I am an Armor guy. Paint of choice if Tamiya acrylic. Building a P-51, 1/35 scale. The interior color will be MM enamel interior green. I am going to spray the fuselage, wheel well, etc. I do not wish to gum up my air brush, so I am concerned about the thinner I should use. Can I get some ideas on the best mix to use?
Many thanks
DJ
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:41 AM UTC
You haven't specified whether it's enamel or acrylic. If it's enamel, Testors airbrush thinner will work well. If it's acrylic, you can get away with using distilled water.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 08:59 AM UTC
You could still use tamiya paints. XF4 yellow green is an excellent yellow zinc chromate by itself but if mixed 10:1 with black or 1:1 with tamiyas olive drab makes good interior green. Interpretations vary widely though so experiment to taste

During the war it was mixed by adding lamp black to yellow zinc chromate
210cav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 06:38 PM UTC
Mike and Jessica-- many thanks for your feedback.

Mike-- I will definitely replicate the paint formula you laid out. I appreciate your assistance
DJ
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 09:19 PM UTC
DJ,
I've used very similar Interior Green mixes from Tamiya as Mike has with excellent results. These days I thin Tamiya Acrylics with their Yellow Cap lacquer thinner 2 parts paint to 3 parts thinner. I can turn down the flow rate to 16 psi and the results are a super smooth surface.

For the few times I still use Model Master enamels, I thin them with their Universal Red can thinner. Plain Mineral Spirits will work as well.

I'm real old school, and I still clean out my air brushes with Lacquer thinner.

Joel
210cav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 11:27 PM UTC
Joel-- many thanks for your response. I have so darn many MM paints that while prefer Tamiya acrylic I am always tempted to revert back to MM before they dry out. I agree with you on cleaning the brush with lacquer thinner. Windex is becoming my weapon of choice between paint color on a single model---works well.
Thanks again
NY Giant fan that I am (from Queens originally) I appreciate your response
Stay safe
DJ
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2016 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel-- many thanks for your response. I have so darn many MM paints that while prefer Tamiya acrylic I am always tempted to revert back to MM before they dry out. I agree with you on cleaning the brush with lacquer thinner. Windex is becoming my weapon of choice between paint color on a single model---works well.
Thanks again
NY Giant fan that I am (from Queens originally) I appreciate your response
Stay safe
DJ

DJ,
I keep on reading about Windex, but I've yet to try it.

Wow and Giants fan!! big game this Sunday against the Steelers. I was hoping that the Vikings would beat the Cowboys, but it wasn't to be.

BTW, back in the early 70s we lived in Newport News for 3 years.

Joel
210cav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 07:19 AM UTC
Joel-- I did most of my P-51 interior with Tamiya XF-4, looks great. Then I mixed in some Tamiya OD and sprayed a few more interior spot, both methods came out well. I thank you once again for your recommendation
DJ
 _GOTOTOP